How to tune the PID parameters using Fuzzy Logic?

In summary, the author is trying to tune the parameters of a PID controller for a robot's position and is confused about how to set the values for Kp, Ki, and Kd. The author recommends starting with best guesses and slowly refining the values.
MHR-Love
I previously used the Ziegler method to tune the parameters of my PID controller to control my robot's position. I then implemented fuzzy logic for self-tuning the parameters. I have two inputs to the fuzzy logic controller; one is the position error and the error rate.

I know that my problem might be due to not understanding the effect of each parameter very well.

The problem is that I am confused in setting up the fuzzy rules. When do I need to use high and low values for Kp, Kd and Ki to achieve the best tuning? Is it that Kp must be very low when the error is almost zero (hence, the robot is at the desired position)? The same question applies for all of the three parameters.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Baluncore said:
Yes, I've seen it. My problem is more into PID than fuzzy logic. I understand the exact mechanism and logic behind fuzzy logic. My problem is in determining the values that are most suitable for Kp, Ki, and Kd for different error values, putting in mind that I can dynamically change their values while the system is running. For example take this scenario, suppose that the system has reached the desired state and, hence, the error is almost zero, am I to reduce the values of these parameters or increase them for better system response? Another scenario would be when the error is so high, am I to increase the values for the parameters?

I believe you should start with best guesses for Kp, Ki, and Kd. Then slowly refine those values, possibly using fuzzy logic. Those coefficients should then remain reasonably fixed.

If the difference is high, then the system needs to respond to eliminate that error. It does that by controlling the system through use of stable PID coefficients, not by suddenly changing those coefficients.

The system response is determined by the system's physical characteristics. The PID coefficients are used in the control loop and so in a way characterise the system. If the physical characteristics of the system were to change, such as the mass of a fuel tank, then the fuzzy logic should gradually adapt the PID coefficients to suit the new physical configuration.

Baluncore said:
I believe you should start with best guesses for Kp, Ki, and Kd. Then slowly refine those values, ... Those coefficients should then remain reasonably fixed.
Not to go off topic, but this worked for me when implementing Automatic Generation Control (software PID control) for this (X 3) and the other energy center's generators. And slowly is the key word here.

4270195112_56c601d84b.jpg

1. How does Fuzzy Logic help in tuning PID parameters?

Fuzzy Logic is a mathematical concept that allows for the representation of imprecise or uncertain information. In the context of PID tuning, Fuzzy Logic takes into account multiple input variables and adjusts the parameters based on the degree of membership of each variable. This allows for a more precise and adaptive tuning process compared to traditional methods.

2. What are the main advantages of using Fuzzy Logic for tuning PID parameters?

Fuzzy Logic offers several advantages for tuning PID parameters. It can handle complex and non-linear systems, it can adapt to changing conditions, and it can incorporate human expertise and intuition into the tuning process. Additionally, Fuzzy Logic can optimize multiple parameters simultaneously, leading to improved overall performance.

3. Are there any limitations to using Fuzzy Logic for PID tuning?

While Fuzzy Logic can be effective in many cases, it may not always provide the best results. For example, if the system is highly unstable or if there are significant disturbances, Fuzzy Logic may not be able to accurately tune the parameters. In these cases, other methods may be more suitable.

4. How does the Fuzzy Logic algorithm determine the optimal PID parameters?

The Fuzzy Logic algorithm uses a set of rules and a membership function to determine the optimal PID parameters. The rules are based on expert knowledge or input from the user, and the membership function assigns a degree of membership to each input variable. The algorithm then uses these inputs to calculate the optimal parameters that will result in the desired system response.

5. Can Fuzzy Logic be used for any type of system or process?

Yes, Fuzzy Logic can be applied to a wide range of systems and processes. It has been successfully used in industries such as manufacturing, robotics, and control systems. However, it is important to note that the effectiveness of Fuzzy Logic may vary depending on the complexity and characteristics of the system being tuned.