Forward kinematics of a snake robot

In summary: In this case, the snake has two degrees of freedom: the position of the segments, and the position of the joints.
chaker
i want to build a forward kinematic model of a snake robot, to find its end-effector position

am already worked on a few robotic arms like puma 560 using the DH table
so i tried using the DH table on the snake robot, but it seemed wrong, so how do i do it ?

the snake robot is similar to the picture below
1649969697797.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
How many segments do you use ?
What mode of movement do you model ?
What degree of freedom do the joints have ?
On a flat surface a snake moves by lifting loops from the surface, then passing the loops forwards.

Likes chaker
Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.
How many segments do you use ?
What mode of movement do you model ?
What degree of freedom do the joints have ?
On a flat surface a snake moves by lifting loops from the surface, then passing the loops forwards.
1650031661552.png

these are the parameters i have
also i only worked on simple articulated robotic arms so i have no idea about this kind of robots and am trying to learn it
the example am working on is from an article called "The Redesigned Serpens, a Low-Cost, Highly Compliant Snake Robot " which can be found as pdf on google

First understand two of the ways that a 1 DoF model snake travels.
1. With hinge pins vertical, it “swims”, by pushing on fixed things in the environment, or:
2. With hinge pins horizontal, it lifts a 3 segment loop at the tail, so tip of the tail comes forwards, then that loop travels forwards like a ripple along the snake.
In both cases, if it has sufficient segments there can be several push points or active loops.
How can a square section snake, with a 1 DoF hinge, roll on it's side ?
Will your "kinematic model" be in software or hardware ?
Do you have a simulator ?
Have you watched snakes moving in different environments ?

Likes chaker
am working on MATLAB with peter corke robotic toolbox
i wanted to start with simple movement.

Here are the basic methods of moving.

You need to consider what degrees of freedom you require to make a simple but useful movement.

Hi baluncore. I am Vignesh. How can I contact you

Welcome to PF.
Look in your private conversations.

1. How is the forward kinematics of a snake robot defined?

The forward kinematics of a snake robot is the process of determining the position and orientation of the robot's end effector (the snake's head) based on the joint angles and lengths of its segments.

2. What factors are considered in the forward kinematics of a snake robot?

In the forward kinematics of a snake robot, factors such as the number of segments, the length of each segment, the joint angles between segments, and the type of joints used (e.g. revolute or prismatic) are considered to calculate the position and orientation of the robot's end effector.

3. How is the forward kinematics equation derived for a snake robot?

The forward kinematics equation for a snake robot is derived using a combination of trigonometry and geometry principles. By analyzing the relationships between the joint angles, segment lengths, and the position of each segment relative to the previous one, the forward kinematics equation can be formulated to determine the end effector's position and orientation.

4. What are the applications of understanding the forward kinematics of a snake robot?

Understanding the forward kinematics of a snake robot is crucial for various applications such as motion planning, obstacle avoidance, and path optimization. It helps in controlling the robot's movements, predicting its trajectory, and ensuring efficient and accurate navigation in complex environments.

5. How can the forward kinematics of a snake robot be implemented in robotics research?

The forward kinematics of a snake robot can be implemented in robotics research by developing mathematical models, simulation algorithms, and control strategies based on the derived equations. Researchers can use these tools to study the robot's motion capabilities, improve its performance, and explore new possibilities for applications in fields like search and rescue, exploration, and healthcare.