Path Independence of Line Integral: del^2(f)=0

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
fk378
Messages
366
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If f is a harmonic function, that is del^2(f)=0, show that the line integral: (integral)f_y dx - f_x dy is independent of path in any simple region D.




The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to rewrite the given integral as integral of Q dx - P dy, since path independence means vector field F=del f. But I don't know where it's supposed to take me...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that for a conservative vector field, [tex]\nabla \times \textbf{F} = 0[/tex].
 
fk378 said:

Homework Statement


If f is a harmonic function, that is del^2(f)=0, show that the line integral: (integral)f_y dx - f_x dy is independent of path in any simple region D.

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to rewrite the given integral as integral of Q dx - P dy, since path independence means vector field F=del f. But I don't know where it's supposed to take me...
Let [tex]f_{x}=M[/tex], [tex]f_{y}=N[/tex] and f is harmonic i.e. [tex]\bigtriangledown^2f(x,y)=0[/tex], then if [tex]f(x,y)= \int_{(x_{0},y_{0}}^{(x,y)}F dr[/tex] and [tex]\bigtriangledown f= Mi + Nj[/tex], then you need to prove that [tex]\int Ndx - Mdy[/tex] is path-independent.

I believe you have to use the Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus
 
konthelion said:
Let [tex]f_{x}=M[/tex], [tex]f_{y}=N[/tex] and f is harmonic i.e. [tex]\bigtriangledown^2f(x,y)=0[/tex], then if [tex]f(x,y)= \int_{(x_{0},y_{0}}^{(x,y)}F dr[/tex] and [tex]\bigtriangledown f= Mi + Nj[/tex], then you need to prove that [tex]\int Ndx - Mdy[/tex] is path-independent.

I believe you have to use the Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

Or you can show that [tex]\nabla^2 f = 0 \implies \nabla \times (f_y \textbf{i} - f_x \textbf{j}) = \textbf{0}[/tex].