Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Path integrals and propagators

1. Jun 28, 2007 #1
    we know that for the SE equation we find the propagator

[tex] (i\hbar \partial _{t} - \hbar ^{2} \nabla +V(x,y,z) )K(x,x')=\delta (x-x') [/tex]

with m=1/2 for simplicity

then we know that the propagator K(x,x') may be obtained from the evaluation of the Path integral.

[tex] K(x,x')=C \int \mathcal D[x] e^{iS[x]/\hbar} [/tex] (sum over all path X(t) )

my question is, since we can't know the evaluation of the path integral exactly, but give a WKB approach of this if we name the result of the path integral by [tex] K_{WKB}(x,x') [/tex].

then my question is if at least as an approximation this function satisfies.

[tex] (i\hbar \partial _{t} - \hbar ^{2} \nabla +V(x,y,z) )K_{WKB}(x,x')=\delta (x-x') [/tex]

the notation WKB means that we have evaluated the propagator and so on in a semiclassical way.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

you seem to have lost your x and x' dependence... at least on the RHS of the above equation
  4. Jun 28, 2007 #3

Homework Helper

twice you said "my question is" but you never asked a question.
  5. Jun 28, 2007 #4
    Isn't that K(x,x') a Green's function? I think the propagator is the 'operator inverse' of the Green's funciton.
  6. Jun 28, 2007 #5

Homework Helper

no. "propagator" and "green's function" are synonymous.
  7. Jun 28, 2007 #6
    Yeah I remember now, propagator = greens function = operator inverse of the field equation operator
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?