Path of Light Through a Circular Raindrop

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of drawing a diagram of a light ray's path through a circular raindrop. The given information includes the angle of incidence, the radius of the raindrop, and the refractive indices of water and air. The attempted solution involves using Snell's Law to calculate the angle of refraction, but there is uncertainty about how to calculate the angle at which the light ray reflects from the raindrop. The solution provided includes a diagram and correctly identifies the normal as the line passing through the point, center, and other side of the spherical raindrop. The question of whether any distances need to be calculated is raised.
Tasha9000
Path of Light Through a Circular (Spherical) Raindrop

Homework Statement

I need to draw an accurate diagram of a light ray's path through a circular raindrop.
-The angle of incidence is 25degrees.
-The radius is 4.15cm
-n of water is ~1.33
-n of air is ~1.000293

I can calculate the first angle of refraction, but I cannot calculate the angle at which the light ray reflects from the raindrop. It does not say how in my textbook :frown:. Where is the normal?

Homework Equations

Snell's Law
nAsinA=nBsinB

The Attempt at a Solution

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23940&d=1267138827g

angle of refraction:

B=sin-1((1.000293sin(25degrees))/1.33)=18.533

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can somebody please help?:frown:

Is this right or completely wrong?
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23944&d=1267153824
(except with the arrows pointing the correct way)

This is a sphere, so the normal at any point is the line that passes through the point, through the center, and straight to the other side.

Thanks!
I'm going to guess this is the correct answer:

Attachments

• raindrop5.png
    raindrop5.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 455
Looks right to me. Do they want you to calculate any of the distances in the figure, or is just getting the angles good enough?

1. How does light pass through a circular raindrop?

Light passes through a circular raindrop through a process called refraction. As the light enters the raindrop, it bends due to the change in density and speed of the medium. This bending of light allows the light to travel through the raindrop and create a visible path.

2. Why does the path of light through a raindrop appear curved?

The path of light through a raindrop appears curved because of the varying angles of refraction. As the light enters and exits the raindrop, it bends at different angles, causing the path to appear curved to our eyes.

3. Does the size of the raindrop affect the path of light?

Yes, the size of the raindrop does affect the path of light. Larger raindrops have a wider and more gradual curve, while smaller raindrops have a sharper and tighter curve. This is due to the differing angles of refraction.

4. What causes the colors in the path of light through a raindrop?

The colors in the path of light through a raindrop are caused by the process of dispersion. When white light enters the raindrop, it is split into its component colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet), each of which has a different wavelength and therefore bends at a different angle, creating the colors we see.

5. Can the path of light through a raindrop be seen from all angles?

No, the path of light through a raindrop can only be seen from certain angles. The angle at which the light enters and exits the raindrop must be within a specific range for the path to be visible. This is why we only see rainbows when the sun is at a specific angle in relation to the raindrops.