1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Path to Mining Engineering Career

1. Oct 18, 2014 #1
    So, I am a student at the university of Richmond, a small liberal arts college, and my goal coming in was to go for the 3/2 engineering program partnership with Columbia, but I decided that I wanted to go into Mining and Minerals, which happens to be one of the few Engineering programs that Columbia does not have. I would prefer not to transfer to somewhere else, so the question arises: If I were to stay and push hard and get two BS, one in physics and one in Chemistry, would there be much job opportunity's in the Mining and Minerals world?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Oct 23, 2014 #3

billy_joule

Science Advisor

I don't think you'd learn much that could be directly applied to mining engineering from physics and chemistry.
    Mechanical engineering and geology are probably a better combination. But HR and CV filtering being what it is a specific mining degree is probably much bet if you have your heart set on it.
    I have a friend who did a BS in geology and a postgraduate diploma in mining engineering - He still works under guys with engineering degrees - He just doesn't have the engineering background to do what they do.

5. Aug 20, 2016 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted