Need a Patio Furniture Makeover? Check Out This Easy and Affordable Solution!

• Thread starter Dembadon
  • Start date
In summary, my husband and I painted four white patio chairs navy blue with outdoor paint and primer cans. It was a quick and cheap way to give our backyard a fresh look.
Dembadon
Gold Member
I only worked a half-day today, so I figured I'd do something outside since it was such a nice day. My wife has been wanting patio furniture with brighter colors for this summer season, so I went and picked up some outdoor paint+primer cans and did some painting! It'll be a nice surprise for when she gets home.

Here is a before-and-after of the chairs I did:

chairpainting_zpsc19839b3.jpg

I also painted the white chairs you see in the background a Navy-ish Blue. It was a quick and cheap way to give our backyard a fresh look. New, colored chairs of a similar make and model run about $18 a piece, and I was able to paint the four we have for $15.

Anyone else have any fun yard/patio projects going on for the summer?

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice job!

In my experience, plastic chairs bend a bit in everyday use. Is the paint going to stick to the plastic as it bends, I wonder?

lisab said:
In my experience, plastic chairs bend a bit in everyday use. Is the paint going to stick to the plastic as it bends, I wonder?
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. If it was acrylic paint, that will take several weeks to cure maximally and even then might still have trouble bonding strongly to plastic.

Dembadon said:
Anyone else have any fun yard/patio projects going on for the summer?
Ha! I have a timber deck. That's an endless "project". :cry:

Natural-looking exterior timber is for idiots and masochists, imho.

Evo said:
Nice job!
Thanks!
lisab said:
The person working the paint counter at Lowe's directed me towards an outdoor paint he said works well on plastics, so we'll see I guess.
strangerep said:
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. If it was acrylic paint, that will take several weeks to cure maximally and even then might still have trouble bonding strongly to plastic.

Ha! I have a timber deck. That's an endless "project". :cry:

Natural-looking exterior timber is for idiots and masochists, imho.

Would love to see some pics if you got 'em. =]

Dembadon said:
Would love to see some pics [of deck] if you got 'em. =]
In its current state, I'm too ashamed. :cry:

Maybe when I (eventually) get around to restoring it to how it looked when I first contructed it. :blushing:

I have not started on my patio project yet but I would like to real soon. I was just researching online for some good ideas and this is what I found. Having a gazebo in your patio. Gazebos can be wooden,metal or plastic depending on our choice. It helps you to enjoy the outdoors even when it's raining. Professionally installed lightning in your patio would be more stable and less susceptible to damage.If your patio is not comfortable to walk on barefoot try renovating the floors so that it could give a smooth feel to your legs when you walk on it. You can just look at this article for more information(http://infinitygardens.ca/blog/amazing-patio-makeover-ideas/).

FAQ: Need a Patio Furniture Makeover? Check Out This Easy and Affordable Solution!

What materials are best for a patio furniture makeover?

The best materials for a patio furniture makeover depend on the type of furniture and the desired outcome. For wood furniture, sanding and staining or painting with outdoor-specific products can give a fresh look. For metal furniture, sanding and repainting with rust-resistant paint is recommended. For fabric cushions, using outdoor-specific fabric paint or reupholstering with outdoor fabric can give a new look.

How can I protect my newly made over patio furniture?

To protect your newly made over patio furniture, it is important to use outdoor-specific materials and products. This includes using outdoor paint, stain, or fabric. Additionally, using a sealant or topcoat can help protect against the elements. It is also important to properly clean and maintain the furniture regularly to prolong its lifespan.

What are some budget-friendly options for a patio furniture makeover?

There are many budget-friendly options for a patio furniture makeover. One option is to repurpose old furniture by sanding and repainting it with leftover paint from other projects. Another option is to use inexpensive materials, such as PVC piping or cinder blocks, to create DIY furniture. You can also find affordable outdoor fabric and cushions to update the look of your furniture.

How do I choose the right colors for my patio furniture makeover?

When choosing colors for your patio furniture makeover, consider the overall aesthetic of your outdoor space and what colors will complement it. You can also draw inspiration from your surroundings, such as the colors of your garden or the exterior of your home. It is also important to consider the mood you want to create – bright colors can add a fun and lively atmosphere, while neutral tones can create a more calming and relaxing space.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when doing a patio furniture makeover?

Some common mistakes to avoid when doing a patio furniture makeover include using indoor materials instead of outdoor-specific ones, not properly cleaning or prepping the furniture before painting or staining, and not using a topcoat or sealant to protect the furniture from the elements. It is also important to carefully consider the colors and design of your makeover to ensure it fits with the overall aesthetic of your outdoor space.

Back