1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pattern recognition and machine learning problem 2.7

1. Aug 6, 2012 #1
    I'm working my way through pattern recognition and machine learning using this site as a guide.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have to prove that a binomial random variable x, with a prior distribution for [itex]\mu[/itex] given by a beta distribution, has a posterior mean value that is x that lies between the pror mean and the maximum likelihood estimate for [itex]\mu[/itex].

[itex]\underbrace{\frac{a}{a+b}}_{prior-mean}<\underbrace{\frac{m+a}{m+a+l+b}}_{posterior-mean}< \underbrace{\frac{m}{m+l}}_{ml-estimate-of-\mu} (eq. 1)[/itex]

where a hint in the book state that it is equal to solving:

[itex]
    \frac{m+a}{m+a+l+b}= \lambda\cdot \frac{a}{a+b}+(1-\lambda)\cdot\frac{m}{m+l}, 0<=\lambda<=1 \text{ (eq. 2)}
    [/itex]

m and l is the numer of observed values where x=1 and x=0 respectively. a and b specifies our prior belief via the beta distribution.

My question is about the hint. how do i get from eq. 1 to eq. 2.? Is it always "legal" to solve eq. 2 instead of eq. 1??

(i'm not looking for a solution to the original problem :) )

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Look at ##\lambda## = 0 and ##\lambda## = 1.

4. Aug 6, 2012 #3
    Thanks ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook