1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE: Annulus question, Steady State Temperature

1. Mar 12, 2016 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose the inner side of the annulus {(r,Φ): r_0 ≤ r ≤ 1} is insulated and the outer side is held at temperature u(1,0) = f(Φ).

a) Find the steady-state temperature
    b) What is the solution if f(Φ) = 1+2sinΦ ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

a)
    A = {(rcosΦ,rsinΦ): r_0 ≤ r ≤ 1}
    We have the conditions

U_rr + r^(-1)*U_r+r^(-2)*U_ΦΦ = 0 in A
    U(1,Φ) = f(Φ)
    U(r_0,Φ) = g(Φ)

Φ"+v^2Φ = 0
    ϑ^2R"+rR'-v^2R = 0

Φ => e^(ivΦ) , v= 0,+/-1, +/-2, ...

r = a)n*r^v+b_n*r^(-v)

Hence, u(r,Φ) = ∑ c_n * r^(|n|)*e^(inΦ)

We know that
    C_n = 1/(2*pi) integral from -pi to pi f(Φ)e^(-inΦ)dΦ

u(r,Φ) = ∑C_n * ( (r^n+r_0^(2n)*r^(-n)) / (1+r_0^(2n)) * e^(inΦ))

That is the answer for part a. Finding the steady state temperature.

My question is how did we get to that messy r fraction part. We see what I stated r to equal, and we know cn is right based off fourier coefficients.

WE went from u(r,Φ) = ∑ c_n * r^(|n|)*e^(inΦ)
    to u(r,Φ) = ∑C_n * ( (r^n+r_0^(2n)*r^(-n)) / (1+r_0^(2n)) * e^(inΦ))

Must I use the Poisson Kernel?

b) b is a little tougher for me to understand.

answer is u(r,Φ) = 1+2*((r^2+r_0^2)/ (r(1+r_0^2))) sinΦ

I started off by analyzing the c_n by inputting f(Φ) = 1+2sinΦ
    we get that the integral =
    Screen Shot 2016-03-12 at 11.33.05 PM.png

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2016 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Does not "the inner boundary is insulated" mean that [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial r} = 0[/itex] on [itex]r = r_0[/itex]?

Umm... no. I'm happy with assuming a solution of the form [tex]
    u(r,\phi) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty c_n R_n(r)e^{in\phi}
    [/tex] where [tex]u(1,\phi) = f(\phi) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty c_ne^{in\phi}[/tex] and the [itex]R_n[/itex] are an as yet unspecified sequence of functions, but [itex]R_n = r^{|n|}[/itex] is not the solution you are looking for as it doesn't satisfy the boundary condition on [itex]r = r_0[/itex].

If [itex]u(r,\phi) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty c_n R_n(r) e^{in\phi}[/itex] and [itex]f(\phi) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} c_ne^{in\phi}[/itex] then [itex]R_n[/itex] is the solution of the boundary value problem [tex]
    \frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}\left(r\frac{dR_n}{dr}\right) - \frac{n^2 R_n}{r^2} = 0[/tex] subject to [itex]R_n(1) = 1[/itex] and [itex]R_n'(r_0) = 0[/itex], obtained by substituting the series definition of [itex]u[/itex] into Laplace's equation and considering the coefficients of [itex]e^{in\phi}[/itex].

Now there are two points to note:

(1) The BVP for [itex]n > 0[/itex] is the same as that for [itex]-n < 0[/itex] and therefore they have the same solution: [itex]R_n = R_{|n|}[/itex].

(2) The BVP for [itex]n = 0[/itex] is a special case.

Thus we have [tex]
    u(r,\phi) = c_0R_0(r) + \sum_{n=1}^\infty (c_n e^{in\phi} + c_{-n}e^{-in\phi}) R_n(r)[/tex] which is easily rearranged into [tex]
    u(r,\phi) = c_0R_0(r) + \sum_{n=1}^\infty (a_n \cos n\phi + b_n \sin n\phi) R_n(r)[/tex] if that's more convenient, and I'll let you go back and solve the BVPs for [itex]R_n[/itex] for [itex]n \geq 0[/itex].

The fourier series of [itex]1 + 2 \sin \phi[/itex] is, astoundingly, [itex]1 + 2 \sin \phi[/itex]. Substitute this into the general solution.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted