Pdf of angle formed by two normal random variables

In summary, the PDF of an angle formed by two normal random variables can be found by taking the ratio of the PDF of the two individual variables and then multiplying it by the sine of the angle. This can be used to calculate probabilities and make predictions about the distribution of angles between two normally distributed variables. The resulting distribution will also be normal, with a mean and standard deviation that can be calculated using basic trigonometric functions. This method is commonly used in statistics and probability to analyze and understand the relationship between two variables.
shazi
Hi Everyone!
I have two normally distributed random variables. One on the x axis, the other on the y axis, like a complex normal random variable. I'm trying to find the pdf of the angle between a fixed point on the x-y plane(let's say point 1,0) and the vector formed by combining the two random variables.

I tried starting with the pdf of x and y:
p(x,y) =(1/(2πσ^2)) e^(-((x-μ_x)^2+(y-μ_y)^2)/(2σ^2))
where σ is the standard deviation for both random variables
μ_x is the mean for random variable x, and
μ_y is the mean for random variable y

Then, I converted to polar coordinates and integrated over all radii (negative infinity to infinity). Then, it seems like I should integrate from angles 0 to 2pi. However that last integration seems really hard. Does anyone know of another way to solve the pdf of the angle?

In case anyone is curious what the two input random variables actually represent, they are output from an accelerometer

Physics news on Phys.org
The angle between the vector (0,1) and a random (x,y)? I think you can just use symmetry - every angle has the same probability.

For example, if random variables x and y both have mean equal one then intuitively the mean of the random variable angle should be pi/4, because random variables x and y are going along the x and y-axis respectively. Also if x has mean equal one and y has mean equal negative one, the mean of angle should be -pi/4. Hope this makes the question clearer.

Oh sorry, I did not see the non-zero means of the variables.
Then, I converted to polar coordinates and integrated over all radii (negative infinity to infinity). Then, it seems like I should integrate from angles 0 to 2pi.
Why do you want to integrate over the angles? That is the distribution you want to get, I think.
Do you want the expected angle? That needs some definition of "expected angle" first, as the angles wrap around (2pi=0). I think you can use symmetry again there, and the "expected angle" will just be the angle between your vector and the vector (μ_x,μ_y).

The distribution of the ratio of y/x of two independent normal random variables involves a mixture that includes a Cauchy distribution. The angle the vector (x,y) makes with the x-axis would be the arctangent (ATAN2) of that ratio. A prominent statistician says there are practical ways of dealing with the ratio of normal random variables. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNEgO1dvktreWiL-rt-ZPcS3K1FmYQ&cad=rja

(I don't know how useful it is to transform his distributions by the inverse tangent.)

Stephen Tashi said:
The distribution of the ratio of y/x of two independent normal random variables involves a mixture that includes a Cauchy distribution. The angle the vector (x,y) makes with the x-axis would be the arctangent (ATAN2) of that ratio. A prominent statistician says there are practical ways of dealing with the ratio of normal random variables. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNEgO1dvktreWiL-rt-ZPcS3K1FmYQ&cad=rja
Thanks for the link - this is a pretty cool-looking paper! I recognize the name, too: Marsaglia invented the polar method for generating pairs of standard normal pseudorandom numbers.

It might be easier to represent the random point (X,Y) in polar coordinates (R,θ). I'd start by first choosing new coordinates so that the means of X and Y are both zero, then switching to polar coordinates. I'm not sure if that will help or not; sometimes new coordinates cause more problems than they solve.

mfb said:
Why do you want to integrate over the angles? That is the distribution you want to get, I think.
Do you want the expected angle? That needs some definition of "expected angle" first, as the angles wrap around (2pi=0). I think you can use symmetry again there, and the "expected angle" will just be the angle between your vector and the vector (μ_x,μ_y).

I considered integrating over 0 to 2pi to exclude redundant angles. Without that integration the PDF would be a sinusoid that continues forever, it wouldn't integrate to one, and therefore not a valid PDF. But I'm not sure this is a correct way to do it.

Yes, I'm trying to find the PDF of angle between a fixed vector and vector(mean_x,mean_y)

Thanks Everyone, I'll start with the method suggested by Stephen

1. What is the definition of a normal random variable?

A normal random variable is a type of continuous probability distribution that is commonly used to represent real-world phenomena. It is characterized by a bell-shaped curve, with the majority of values falling near the mean and the tail ends approaching zero.

2. How is the pdf of an angle formed by two normal random variables calculated?

The pdf (probability density function) of an angle formed by two normal random variables is calculated by taking the convolution of the individual pdfs of the two variables. This involves multiplying the two pdfs and then integrating the resulting expression over the range of possible values for the angle.

3. Can the pdf of an angle formed by two normal random variables be negative?

No, the pdf of an angle cannot be negative as it represents the probability of obtaining a specific angle value. This probability cannot be negative, and thus the pdf is always equal to or greater than zero.

4. What is the relationship between the pdf of an angle and the correlation between the two normal random variables?

The pdf of an angle formed by two normal random variables is directly affected by the correlation between the two variables. A higher correlation between the two variables results in a narrower and taller pdf curve, while a lower correlation results in a wider and shorter curve.

5. How is the pdf of an angle used in statistical analyses?

The pdf of an angle formed by two normal random variables is used in various statistical analyses, such as hypothesis testing and confidence interval calculations. It allows for the determination of the probability of obtaining a specific angle value, which is essential in making statistical inferences and decisions.