Sum of independent random variables and Normalization

In summary, the conversation discusses the distribution of a new random variable Y, defined as the sum of N independent random variables, each possibly from a different probability distribution. It is noted that if each of the X_i's is normally distributed, then Y will also be normally distributed. However, for the generalized case where the X_i's can come from any valid probability distribution, there is no general conclusion that can be made about the distribution of Y. It is suggested to look into the generalized central limit theorem for conditions where the sum of independent non-identically distributed random variables can be approximated by a normal distribution.
joshthekid
Hi,

Lets say I have N independent, not necessarily identical, random variable. I define a new random variable as

$$Y=Σ^{N}_{i=0} X_{i}$$

does Y follow a normalized probability distribution?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the distribution of the Xs?

joshthekid said:
Hi,

Lets say I have N independent, not necessarily identical, random variable. I define a new random variable as

$$Y=Σ^{N}_{i=0} X_{i}$$

If each of the ##X_i's## is normally distributed, then yes. It will have mean sum of the means and variance sum of the variances.

Math_QED said:
If each of the ##X_i's## is normally distributed, then yes. It will have mean sum of the means and variance sum of the variances.

I'm talking about the generalized case where Xi can literally come from any valid probability distribution and the Xi do not have to be the same.

joshthekid said:
I'm talking about the generalized case where Xi can literally come from any valid probability distribution and the Xi do not have to be the same.

Then there is no general conclusion to be made.

Likes Dale
joshthekid said:
I agree with @Math_QED, and in fact for any valid probability distribution there may not even be a sensible sum operation, e.g. what if one X is the outcome of a coin toss and another X is gender.

Math_QED said:
Note that there are no squares in the sum, so your statement is not true.

Well, note that my statement is true, just was referring to the similarity to chi-squared

Would have to assume that the underlying distributions have finite variances so can be normalized (seems some confusion in the OP between normalized / standardized and normal) Normalized means the variable is rescaled to 0 mean and variance of 1. The Central Limit Theorem states that if you then sum these normalized variables the distribution of the sum converges to the normal distribution.

Likes member 587159
BWV said:
Well, note that my statement is true, just was referring to the similarity to chi-squared

Would have to assume that the underlying distributions have finite variances so can be normalized (seems some confusion in the OP between normalized / standardized and normal) Normalized means the variable is rescaled to 0 mean and variance of 1. The Central Limit Theorem states that if you then sum these normalized variables the distribution of the sum converges to the normal distribution.

Misread your post then. Sorry!

joshthekid said:

I think what you mean to ask is "does Y have a normal distribution?" or "Is Y normally distributed?" The adjective "normalized" doesn't refer to a specific family of probability distributions.

Perhaps you also mean to say that the Xi are mutually independent?

As others indicated, given only those facts we cannot conclude that the distribution of Y is a normal distribution.

If you do a web search on "generalized central limit theorem" you may be able to find theorems that give conditions where the sum of independent non-identically distributed random variables can be shown to be approxmately a normal distribution. This is a very technical topic. I don't know the details.

1. What is the sum of independent random variables?

The sum of independent random variables is a new random variable that is created by adding together two or more independent random variables. This sum is also considered to be a new probability distribution with its own mean and variance.

2. How is the sum of independent random variables calculated?

The sum of independent random variables is calculated by adding the individual values of each random variable together. For example, if X and Y are two independent random variables, their sum Z would be calculated as Z = X + Y.

3. What is the Central Limit Theorem and how does it relate to the normalization of random variables?

The Central Limit Theorem states that the sum of a large number of independent random variables will tend to follow a normal distribution, regardless of the distribution of the individual variables. This is important in the normalization of random variables because it allows us to use the properties of the normal distribution to analyze and make predictions about the sum of these variables.

4. How is the normalization of random variables useful in scientific research?

The normalization of random variables is useful in scientific research because it allows us to compare and analyze data from different distributions. By converting data into a standardized normal distribution, we can make statistical inferences and draw conclusions about the data more easily.

5. Can the sum of independent random variables ever result in a non-normal distribution?

Yes, in some cases, the sum of independent random variables may not follow a normal distribution. This can occur when the individual variables have certain distributions, such as a Poisson or exponential distribution. In these cases, other methods may be used for normalization, such as the Central Limit Theorem or the use of other probability distributions.