Peak Amps of a heat pump based AC vs compressor based AC?

In summary, when considering what type of electric air conditioning system to install in an older house with "100 Amp service" in the USA, peak power usage is a major consideration. Generally speaking, residential units based on heat pumps have lower peak power usage compared to units based on compressors with radiators. This is because heat pumps use a line buried deep in the ground to access a moderate temperature, making them more efficient. However, total efficiency should also be considered. Tankless water heaters, for example, may be more efficient but their peak power usage may still be too high for a home with 100 Amp service. In terms of voltage, it is important to note that 80 amp per single phase with 230V can provide up
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Generally speaking, do residential air conditioners based on heat pumps have less peak power usage than AC units that use only compressors with radiators?
In my city (USA) typical older houses have "100 Amp service" so their peak electric usage is limited to 100 Amps. In considering what sort of electric air conditioning system to install in such a house, peak usage is major consideration. Generally speaking, which type of residential unit has higher peak usage, units based on heat pumps or units based on compressors with radiators?

Edit: I'm using the term "heat pump" to indicate a system that uses a line buried deep in the ground to access an area that remains at a moderate temperature compared to the surface temperature.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
Summary:: Generally speaking, do residential air conditioners based on heat pumps have less peak power usage than AC units that use only compressors with radiators?

In my city (USA) typical older houses have "100 Amp service" so their peak electric usage is limited to 100 Amps. In considering what sort of electric air conditioning system to install in such a house, peak usage is major consideration. Generally speaking, which type of residential unit has higher peak usage, units based on heat pumps or units based on compressors with radiators?

Edit: I'm using the term "heat pump" to indicate a system that uses a line buried deep in the ground to access an area that remains at a moderate temperature compared to the surface temperature.
That last line clarifies a lot, because a heat pump and air conditioner are exactly the same device except that you can switch the coils...so much of the post was hard to make sense of...

...but yeah, a ground source is more efficient than air source because the ground's temperature is usually closer to room temperature than the air's.

russ_watters said:
...but yeah, a ground source is more efficient than air source because the ground's temperature is usually closer to room temperature than the air's.

Total efficiency is a consideration, but my main interest is in peak power usage.

(As another example, tankless water heaters are , generally speaking, more efficient that conventional water heaters. But the peak power usage of a tankless heater may be too much for a home with 100 Amp service when other appliances are in use - even though the peak power usage is brief.)

Stephen Tashi said:
Total efficiency is a consideration, but my main interest is in peak power usage.
Peak power demand is lower for ground source. Peak power demand happens when the difference between the heat sink and room temperature is largest. E.G, when it is hot outside. In cooling mode, the ground source should be much more efficient than the air source at peak.

Stephen Tashi said:
"100 Amp service"
I have 80 amp per single phase, with 230V, so I can get 18.4 kW.
It is hard to know the maximum energy flow = power, without voltage. What is your voltage?

P.S. I believe your "Amp" should be ampere, amp or A, because Ampere was a person.

1. What is the difference between peak amps of a heat pump based AC and a compressor based AC?

The peak amps of a heat pump based AC refer to the maximum amount of electrical current that the system draws during operation. This is typically higher than the average amps used. On the other hand, the peak amps of a compressor based AC refer to the maximum amount of electrical current that the compressor draws during operation. This is usually lower than the peak amps of a heat pump based AC.

2. Why do heat pump based ACs have higher peak amps compared to compressor based ACs?

Heat pump based ACs have higher peak amps because they have two components, the outdoor unit and the indoor unit, that both require electricity to operate. The outdoor unit contains the compressor, which is responsible for pumping refrigerant and requires a large amount of electricity to run. The indoor unit contains the fan, which also requires electricity to operate. In contrast, compressor based ACs only have one component, the compressor, which requires electricity to operate.

3. Does the difference in peak amps affect the efficiency of the AC system?

Yes, the difference in peak amps can affect the efficiency of the AC system. Heat pump based ACs tend to be less efficient than compressor based ACs because they require more electrical current to operate. This means that they consume more energy and have a higher operating cost.

4. Are there any advantages to using a heat pump based AC over a compressor based AC?

Yes, there are advantages to using a heat pump based AC over a compressor based AC. Heat pump based ACs are more versatile and can provide both heating and cooling, while compressor based ACs can only provide cooling. Additionally, heat pump based ACs are more energy efficient in moderate climates, as they use the outside air to heat or cool the indoor space, rather than relying solely on electricity.

5. Can the peak amps of a heat pump based AC be reduced?

Yes, the peak amps of a heat pump based AC can be reduced by using a variable speed compressor. This type of compressor can adjust its speed based on the cooling demands, resulting in lower peak amps and increased efficiency. Additionally, proper maintenance and regular cleaning of the AC system can also help reduce the peak amps and improve overall efficiency.