Pendulum and cart harmonic motion

In summary, the cart rolls freely on a horizontal surface for a period of time, until the pendulum is released and begins to oscillate. At the beginning of the oscillation, the cart is at its maximum displacement from the ground. As the oscillation continues, the cart reaches its lowest point, and then begins to oscillate again.
Frillth

Homework Statement

A simple pendulum of mass m = .28 kg and length L = .65 m is attached to a cart of mass M = 1.0 kg. The mass of the pendulum support is negligible. The cart can roll rreely on a horizontal surface. At t = 0, the pendulum bob is released from rest when the string makes an angle of 10 degrees with the vertical. assume that the resulting motion of the cart relative to the ground is simple harmonic motion. Determine the amplitude of the motion of the cart.

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to solve this, but I had a completely unscientific intuitive guess that the distance pendulum travels * pendulum's mass = distance cart travels * cart's mass:

Horizontal distance between bob at 10 degrees and vertical = .65*sin10

.65*sin10 * .28 = 1*x
x = .032 m

Is this at all close to correct? If not, could somebody please point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be attempting a conservation of energy approach, which might work, but I'm disturbed about a number of things:

Note: for both energy-like terms... you're using distance times mass. Is that right?

First: For the potential energy of the pendulum you are missing a factor that's pretty important. You have height of the pendulum times that pendulum's mass -- but there's something missing to make it ENERGY. In this case the factor you're missing is known... what is it? hint: It' energy related to height it's gravitational potential energy!) I also suggest you ALWAYS carry the units with your math to be sure your result has units that you want.

Second: Your equation for work done on the cart would also be wrong. Again, your units are off and you're missing a factor... but in this case... do you know that factor? Even more important... is that factor constant over time? Note: Based on the motion of the cart, I don't think it can be! Note: this unknown might make it possibly very difficult to find the distance based on your approach.

Also note: You haven't considered all ways the energy is transferred... you might want to think about kinetic energy of the pendulum and cart.
The big questions about this are:
What is the pendulum doing when the cart is at maximum displacement?
What are the pendulum and cart doing when the pendulum is at it's lowest point?
etc.

I was thinking about the possibility of a conservation of momentum approach. Have you thought of that? I think it's much more promising. You could probably do something cool with the resulting velocity equation of motion...

If the cart can move freely along the horizontal direction then the center of mass of the system is at rest along this direction.
I think that this is what you were trying to do, right?. (distance*mass...)

1. How does the length of the pendulum affect its harmonic motion?

The length of the pendulum affects its harmonic motion by changing the period of the pendulum's oscillation. According to the physics principle of simple harmonic motion, the period of a pendulum is directly proportional to the square root of its length. This means that a longer pendulum will have a longer period and therefore a slower oscillation compared to a shorter pendulum.

2. Can the mass of the pendulum affect its harmonic motion?

Yes, the mass of the pendulum can affect its harmonic motion. According to the physics principle of simple harmonic motion, the period of a pendulum is independent of its mass. This means that two pendulums with different masses but the same length will have the same period and therefore the same oscillation. However, the amplitude of the pendulum's swing may be affected by its mass, as a heavier pendulum may have a larger amplitude due to a higher inertia.

3. How does the angle of release affect the pendulum's harmonic motion?

The angle of release can affect the pendulum's harmonic motion by changing the amplitude of its swing. According to the physics principle of simple harmonic motion, the amplitude of a pendulum's swing is directly proportional to the initial angle of release. This means that a larger initial angle of release will result in a larger amplitude and therefore a wider swing of the pendulum.

4. Can the cart's mass affect the pendulum's harmonic motion?

Yes, the cart's mass can affect the pendulum's harmonic motion. The motion of a pendulum attached to a cart is influenced by the cart's mass since the cart provides the force necessary for the pendulum to oscillate. A heavier cart may provide a larger force and therefore result in a larger amplitude and a shorter period of oscillation for the pendulum.

5. How does air resistance affect the pendulum's harmonic motion?

Air resistance can affect the pendulum's harmonic motion by reducing its amplitude and therefore slowing down its oscillation. Air resistance acts as a damping force, which decreases the pendulum's energy over time and causes it to eventually come to rest. This means that a pendulum's oscillation will gradually decrease in amplitude due to air resistance, resulting in a shorter period of oscillation.