1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum - Maximum Angle in 2nd half of swing

1. Oct 18, 2015 #1
    A simple pendulum, 2.0 m in length, is released by a push when the support string is at an angle of 25° from the vertical. If the initial speed of the suspended mass is 1.2 m/s when at the release point, to what maximum angle will it move in the second half of its swing?

Let h1 be the elevation reached when potential energy = total energy transferred.
    mg(h1) = mgL(1 - cos θ0) + 1/2 (mV²)

I am not sure if the approach is correct and how to proceed. My trig. background is not that strong at all.

Please help. I believe the answer is 30 degrees.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The approach is correct. You know everything apart from h1 (and m, but you can divide the equation by m to get rid of it), so you can solve that equation.
    With h1 and L you can find the angle.
    Alternatively, directly use the angle-dependent expression on the left side.

4. Oct 18, 2015 #3
    Thanks for you feedback. I assume h1 = L ( 1 - cos 25 degrees) . Is that right?
    I have troubles to find the "V" . I don't think I should use the initial speed 1.2 m/s.
    Since it is asking for max angle for 2nd half of swing. Beside theta 0, do I need to set up theta 1 , another angle for 2nd half of swing? Confused.
    Need some guidance.

5. Oct 18, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Instead of 25 degrees, you have to use the angle you want to calculate there.
    Why not?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted