Pendulum that releases at the bottom end of swing?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the distance d when a mass is released from a pendulum and falls in a projectile motion. The approach suggested is to first calculate the velocity using potential and kinetic energy, and then treat it as a projectile in motion to find the final distance. The conversation also mentions that the initial velocity vector and units should not be considered in this situational problem. The person asking for help also confirms that this is the correct approach and thanks the expert for their timely response.
jc1821
This is a VERY broad posting, but I was wondering if I could get some help...

A pendulum is released from its starting point h, it swings down (how fast it swings does not matter) and is released at the very bottom of the swing.

From here the mass is released and falls in a projectile fashion and falls a distance d.

Here's the question... how do you find d?

Keep in mind this is all situational so measurements should be disregarded.

Should I start with PE/KE and move to a projectile motion to construct an answer for this?

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far?

What is the initial velocity vector? Initial meaning point of release.

This is just a situational question. So, no units.

Fig_3.1.gif

Take this one for example. It is released from the left, but at the bottom it detaches and acts as a projectile. It would fall downward towards a final distance d.

What I speculate you would have to do first is calculate velocity via KE/cons of energy then treat it as a projectile in motion.

Would I be correct in saying so?

jc1821 said:
What I speculate you would have to do first is calculate velocity via KE/cons of energy then treat it as a projectile in motion.

Would I be correct in saying so?

Correct. That is exactly how to approach the start of the problem.

Ah! Then after that it's just calculating distance that it is projected.

That's great.

Thanks for your timely response.

jc

1. How does a pendulum release at the bottom end of its swing?

A pendulum releases at the bottom end of its swing due to the force of gravity. As the pendulum reaches the bottom of its swing, the gravitational force acting on the weight causes it to accelerate downward, releasing it from its previous position.

2. What determines the speed of a pendulum at the bottom end of its swing?

The speed of a pendulum at the bottom end of its swing is determined by its length and the force of gravity. The longer the pendulum and the greater the force of gravity, the faster it will swing.

3. Why does a pendulum release at the bottom end of its swing?

A pendulum releases at the bottom end of its swing because of its potential and kinetic energy. As the pendulum swings, it gains potential energy at the top of its swing and converts it to kinetic energy at the bottom, causing it to release and continue swinging.

4. What happens if a pendulum does not release at the bottom end of its swing?

If a pendulum does not release at the bottom end of its swing, it will not continue swinging and will eventually come to a stop. This could be due to a lack of energy or external forces acting on the pendulum.

5. Can the release point of a pendulum be adjusted?

Yes, the release point of a pendulum can be adjusted by changing the length of the pendulum or the force of gravity acting on it. These adjustments can affect the speed and timing of the pendulum's release at the bottom end of its swing.