Pendulum Rise from Release Point: 0.005 m

In summary: What am I doing wrong?In summary, the given pendulum problem involves finding the height difference between the release point and the highest point of the pendulum's swing. The solution involves using the equations for kinetic and potential energy, as well as determining the velocity at the bottom of the swing and the angle at the highest point. Possible sources of error could include mixing up units (radians vs. degrees) or not considering the correct interval for the arccosine function.

Homework Statement

You are given a pendulum composed of a 0.030 kg mass on the end of a 0.60 m long massless string. If the pendulum is moved 30° from the vertical and given an initial speed of 0.39 m/s tangent to the support string and away from the vertical, how much higher relative to the release point of the pendulum swing will the pendulum rise?

Homework Equations

KE=1/2mv^2
PE=mgL(1-cosθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I did. I found the velocity at the bottom of the swing.
1/2vf^2 = 1/2vi^2 + mgL(1-cosθ)
and I got vf= 1.3 m/s
Then I did the same thing again, except I set vi to 1.3 and vf = 0
1/2vi^2 = mgL(1-cosθ)
and find θ, which I got 31.1 then I subtracted Lcos30 by Lcos31.1 and got .005 m. The answer is incorrect, can anyone help? BTW I already canceled out the mass in all the above work.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems you forgot the m's in your kinetic energies??

Hi 386221

Welcome to PF!

Your work looks good to me .What is the correct answer ?

I haven't checked the data, Tanya Sharma, but it seems that OP is using 1/2v^2, rather than 1/2mv^2.
I agree that OP, apart from that seems to have chosen a correct, if somewhat overcomplicated solution since there is no need to use the intermediate position at the bottom.

386221 said:

Homework Statement

You are given a pendulum composed of a 0.030 kg mass on the end of a 0.60 m long massless string. If the pendulum is moved 30° from the vertical and given an initial speed of 0.39 m/s tangent to the support string and away from the vertical, how much higher relative to the release point of the pendulum swing will the pendulum rise?

Homework Equations

KE=1/2mv^2
PE=mgL(1-cosθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I did. I found the velocity at the bottom of the swing.
1/2vf^2 = 1/2vi^2 + mgL(1-cosθ)
and I got vf= 1.3 m/s
Then I did the same thing again, except I set vi to 1.3 and vf = 0
1/2vi^2 = mgL(1-cosθ)
and find θ, which I got 31.1 then I subtracted Lcos30 by Lcos31.1 and got .005 m. The answer is incorrect, can anyone help? BTW I already canceled out the mass in all the above work.
check again.

arildno said:
I haven't checked the data, Tanya Sharma, but it seems that OP is using 1/2v^2, rather than 1/2mv^2.
I agree that OP, apart from that seems to have chosen a correct, if somewhat overcomplicated solution since there is no need to use the intermediate position at the bottom.

I checked the data before replying.OP has mentioned that he canceled the masses in his work,which he/she did.He/She has erroneously written 1/2v^2 instead of 1/2mv^2.

`Well, then his "incorrect" answer might just mean that he rounded off numbers in an incorrect way in his intermediate step.
Thank you, Tanya Sharma, for having checked the data! :smile:

For an easier method just set potential energy at the point of beginning of motion as 0.
##U_i+K_i=U_f+K_f##
##K_i=U_f##
##1/2(mv^2)=mg\Delta h##

There is a couple of sources for errors which might explain the incorrectness of OP's answer:
1. He might at some point have made a mix-up of radians versus degrees.
2. Or, and I think this is the likeliest source for the error error: the arccosine function is typically defined relative to the interval 0 to pi, while in this problem, the answer might have be given for angles in the interval -pi/2 to pi/2 instead. That is, a minus sign might be missing in OP's solution for the angle.

The angle is slightly off...31.0323136133
(and there was another error in cos31.1)

I tried changing the second angle to 31.03 and got delta h of .009 and it was wrong. I also tried using 1/2mv^2=mgh and got .0077 for h and that was wrong as well. I honestly have no clue on how to proceed all my work seems correct...

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point and able to swing freely. It is commonly used to measure time and can also demonstrate principles of physics, such as energy and motion.

2. How does a pendulum rise from a release point of 0.005 m?

A pendulum rises from a release point of 0.005 m due to the conservation of energy. As the pendulum swings, it continuously converts between potential and kinetic energy. The release point of 0.005 m indicates the initial potential energy of the pendulum, which is then converted into kinetic energy as it swings back and forth.

3. What factors affect the rise of a pendulum from a release point of 0.005 m?

The factors that affect the rise of a pendulum include the length of the pendulum, the angle of release, and the gravitational acceleration. The longer the pendulum and the larger the angle of release, the higher the pendulum will rise from the release point of 0.005 m. The gravitational acceleration also plays a role, as a higher acceleration will cause the pendulum to rise higher.

4. How is the rise of a pendulum from a release point of 0.005 m calculated?

The rise of a pendulum from a release point of 0.005 m can be calculated using the formula h = L - Lcosθ, where h is the rise, L is the length of the pendulum, and θ is the angle of release. This formula takes into account the initial potential energy at the release point and the conversion to kinetic energy as the pendulum swings.

5. Can the rise of a pendulum from a release point of 0.005 m be influenced by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as air resistance, friction, and the weight of the pendulum itself can affect the rise of a pendulum from a release point of 0.005 m. These factors can cause the pendulum to lose energy and not reach the same height as predicted by calculations. However, in a controlled environment with minimal external influences, the rise of a pendulum can be accurately calculated and observed.