Pendulums colliding - collision

• Thread starter superdave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, the upper ball has a greater initial speed and kinetic energy, so it swings higher and reaches a higher angle than the lower ball.
superdave
In the figure View Figure the upper ball is released from rest, collides with and the stationary lower ball, and sticks to it. The strings are both 50.0 cm long. The upper ball has mass is 2.00 kg and it is initially 10.0 cm higher than the lower ball, which has mass 3.00 kg.

yf_Figure_13_36.jpg

Find the maximum angular displacement of the motion after the collision.

I've found omega, if that helps.

Physics news on Phys.org
since we don't know what omega is, it doesn't.

Convert the potential energy the ball being held up starts with into the kinetic energy it will have when it strikes the bottom ball. Then use conservation of momentum for an inelastic collision, and convert the new kinetic energy to the maximum potential energy the system can achieve. From there, use trig

superdave said:
In the figure View Figure the upper ball is released from rest, collides with and the stationary lower ball, and sticks to it. The strings are both 50.0 cm long. The upper ball has mass is 2.00 kg and it is initially 10.0 cm higher than the lower ball, which has mass 3.00 kg.

yf_Figure_13_36.jpg

Find the maximum angular displacement of the motion after the collision.

I've found omega, if that helps.

Use conservation of energy to find the speed of the first mass just before it hits the second one. Then use momentum conservation to find the speed of the two masses combined just after the collision (when they are still at the lowest point). Finally, use conservation of energy again to find how high they will swing up. Once you have that, simple geometry will give you the angle they reach.

can you give me a hint with the trig? Because I can only find one side, and the right angle. I need at least one more angle or side.

nevermind, I got it. Thanks for the help.

Related to Pendulums colliding - collision

1. What is a pendulum collision?

A pendulum collision occurs when two pendulums, or objects attached to strings that swing back and forth, collide with each other.

2. What factors affect the outcome of a pendulum collision?

The factors that affect the outcome of a pendulum collision include the mass, length, and initial angle of the pendulums, as well as the angle at which they collide.

3. How do pendulums behave when they collide?

When pendulums collide, they transfer energy and momentum to each other. This causes them to change direction and amplitude, and they continue to swing back and forth until the energy is gradually dissipated.

4. What happens when two pendulums with different lengths collide?

If two pendulums with different lengths collide, the shorter pendulum will typically have a larger amplitude after the collision, as it has less mass and therefore less inertia to resist the impact.

5. Can pendulums collide in a perfectly elastic manner?

No, pendulum collisions are not perfectly elastic because some energy is lost due to friction and air resistance. However, in ideal conditions with minimal external forces, the collisions can be close to elastic.