1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Percent change in tension to achieve specified change in frequency

1. Jan 21, 2010 #1
    % change in tension to achieve specified change in frequency

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particular guitar string is supposed to vibrate at 219 Hz, but it is measured to actually vibrate at 224 Hz. By what percentage should the tension in the string be changed to get the frequency to the correct value?

2. Relevant equations
    v=f(lambda)=sqrt(tension/mu)

Rearranged and combined to give:
    (T1/T2) = (F1/F2)^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    This seemed like it should be a very simple problem, I must be doing something basic wrong.

Subbing in the values and changing for %:
    %change in Tension = 100 * [1 - (219/224)^2]
    = 4.41

However this is shown wrong by the system. I also tried putting in 0.0441 just incase, but no dice. I can't think of any other way to approach this.

Thanks for any help you can give!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Jennifer_ea! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a lambda: λ and a mu: µ and a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    Why the "1 - " ? :wink:

4. Jan 22, 2010 #3
    Re: % change in tension to achieve specified change in frequency

Oops, didn't notice that option!

Yup, I knew this would be a face palmer. When doing the logic out I knew it had to decrease but somehow deemed the negative unwarranted.

Thanks a million!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook