Percentage Uncertainties Question

In summary: And the minimum possible pressure must be the minimum possible force divided by the maximum possible area.In summary, when calculating for the percentage uncertainty of pressure in a problem where a force is applied on a circular area, the maximum and minimum possible values for pressure can be found by dividing the maximum and minimum possible force by the minimum and maximum possible area, respectively. This takes into account the percentage uncertainties of the force and radius values.
Benge

Homework Statement

Been given a problem where a force (F) is applied on a circular area (m2). If the percentage uncertainty of the force is 8% and the percentage uncertainty of the radius is 3%, what is the percentage uncertainty of the obtained value pressure?

Homework Equations

I know that pressure equals force over area and to find the area it is πr2. Anyway to work the percentage out?

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume you don't just 'add' the percentage uncertainties in this case. So far see that 8% over π3%2 would be the equation to work this out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Benge said:

Homework Statement

Been given a problem where a force (F) is applied on a circular area (m2). If the percentage uncertainty of the force is 8% and the percentage uncertainty of the radius is 3%, what is the percentage uncertainty of the obtained value pressure?

Homework Equations

I know that pressure equals force over area and to find the area it is πr2. Anyway to work the percentage out?

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume you don't just 'add' the percentage uncertainties in this case. So far see that 8% over π3%2 would be the equation to work this out.

What does a percentage uncertainty actually mean?

It's the absolute uncertainty expressed as a percentage. So how 'large' the uncertainty of a measurement. If it is just the measurements would it be 11%? As that is what's being 'measured' and not calculated?

Benge said:
It's the absolute uncertainty expressed as a percentage. So how 'large' the uncertainty of a measurement. If it is just the measurements would it be 11%? As that is what's being 'measured' and not calculated?

You're still not thinking about what it actually means. For example, if a force is 100N with a percentage uncertainty of 8%, could that force be, say, 150N? Or, 62N?

That force could be 92N or 108N...
Force = 100 +- 8% N

Benge said:
That force could be 92N or 108N...
Force = 100 +- 8% N

So, you're saying the force could have a maximum value of 108N and a minimum value of 92N.

And, the radius?

I understand that there is a range of values that the area 'could' be, ranging from the area -8% to area +8%...

Benge said:
I understand that there is a range of values that the area 'could' be, ranging from the area -8% to area +8%...

It's getting difficult to thing of a hint without actually telling you the answer! But, let's try:

If the force is 100N (with 8% uncertainty) and the radius is 1m (with 3% uncertainty), could the pressure be 50N/m^2?

Well from your example, the answer to the equation would be 100 over pi x 12? Then +- the percentage uncertainties added. So 31.8 +- 11% which means the answer is ranging between 28 and 35 Pa. Or would it be like considering bounds in maths, the maximum and minimum possible values for pressure with the equation?

Sorry if I'm not understanding this as easily as most would.

Benge said:
Well from your example, the answer to the equation would be 100 over pi x 12? Then +- the percentage uncertainties added. So 31.8 +- 11% which means the answer is ranging between 28 and 35 Pa. Or would it be like considering bounds in maths, the maximum and minimum possible values for pressure with the equation?

Sorry if I'm not understanding this as easily as most would.

Why would the uncertainties add? Why not do a calculation with the maximum possible force and minimum possible area? And vice versa.

So to answer that question it is like considering bounds then. Thanks.

Benge said:
So to answer that question it is like considering bounds then. Thanks.

The answer to the question lies in calculations. And, yes, the maximun possible pressure must be the maximum possible force divided by the minimum possible area.

What is a percentage uncertainty?

A percentage uncertainty is a measure of the potential error or variation in a measurement or calculation. It represents the range of possible values that the true value could fall within.

How is percentage uncertainty calculated?

The percentage uncertainty is calculated by dividing the absolute uncertainty by the measured value and multiplying by 100%. This value is then rounded to the appropriate number of significant figures.

Why is it important to consider percentage uncertainties?

Percentage uncertainties are important because they provide a measure of the reliability or accuracy of a measurement or calculation. They also allow for comparisons between different measurements or calculations.

How can percentage uncertainties be reduced?

Percentage uncertainties can be reduced by using more precise measuring instruments, taking multiple measurements, and minimizing sources of error in the measurement or calculation process.

What is the relationship between percentage uncertainty and confidence level?

The percentage uncertainty is directly related to the confidence level, which represents the level of certainty in the measurement or calculation. A higher percentage uncertainty indicates a lower confidence level and vice versa.