1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Percentage uncertainty and percentage error

1. Feb 12, 2008 #1
    You record the following data Diameter/mm: 11.67, 12.67, 13.9, 12.67, 12.67, 12.66 You take the average of these values to be the diameter, but what is the percentage error in this value?

I tried working this problem out but I cant use the normal formula as it is spread over many values and there is no accepted value. I got some numbers; 17.55%, 1.5% but theyr all wrong.

W = T(x+y)/x

Where W is the weight of the stand and T is the Newton meter reading.

You measure and record the values of x, y (with a ruler) and T. The following data is recorded:

x = 12.8 cm , y = 30.2 cm, T= 2.2 N

What is the percentage uncertainty in y?

This one wants the percentage uncertainty which I'm unsure of how to find. I did try 30.25(max value) - 30.15(lowest value) / 2 = 0.05 and find it as a percentage but it turned out to be wrong...

Any help with these problems would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2008 #2
    Percentage Uncertainty

Uncertainties may be quoted as a percentage rather than absolute values. An uncertainty of 124 (+ or -) 1 means 1 in 124 ie.

Percentage Uncertainty = [tex]\frac{1}{124}\times100 = 0,08[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?