PERE'S LAW, ELECTRIC FIELDS, AND RESISTANCE CALCULATIONS IN A MULTI-SECTION ROD

  • Thread starter Thread starter tigert2004
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Current Resistance
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
tigert2004
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Figure 26-24a gives the magnitude E(x) of the electric fields that have been set up by a battery along a resistive rod of length 9.00 mm . The rod consists of three sections of the same material and length but with different radii. The radius of section 3 is 5.00 mm.
E for section 1 is 2.5e3V/m, E for section 2 is 4e3V/m,
E for section 3 is 1.5e3V/m

I understand that p is the same for all of them put I am getting stuck after that
 
Physics news on Phys.org
tigert2004 said:
Figure 26-24a gives the magnitude E(x) of the electric fields that have been set up by a battery along a resistive rod of length 9.00 mm . The rod consists of three sections of the same material and length but with different radii. The radius of section 3 is 5.00 mm.
E for section 1 is 2.5e3V/m, E for section 2 is 4e3V/m,
E for section 3 is 1.5e3V/m

I understand that p is the same for all of them put I am getting stuck after that
What is the question?

Check the length. 9 mm can't be right if it is a rod. It must be 9 m.

You can find the applied voltage and voltage drops across each section easily enough from the electric field and lengths. You also can determine the resistance of each section in proportion to the resistance of the other sections or the total resistance.

All we need to know is the question.

AM
 
I am sorry, The question is what is the radius of the first and second section. The length is 9 mm. I can find V by equaling it to LE.
 
tigert2004 said:
I am sorry, The question is what is the radius of the first and second section. The length is 9 mm. I can find V by equaling it to LE.
Well the length doesn't really matter but if it is 9 mm, it is wider than it is long, hardly a rod.

Find the total applied voltage and voltage drops across each section.

With that, you can find the proportional resistance of each section. How is resistance related to resistivity, length and area? Use that information to find the relative areas of each section and use the area of section 3 to find the areas and radii of the other two.

AM