Perfect Method to Answer a Question

• Thread starter Chewy0087
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the conversation revolves around the best way to answer difficult structured questions, particularly in the context of Aptitude Tests for Oxford undergraduate physics. The speaker shares their personal experience and asks for advice from individuals with experience in degree programs and problem-solving. They also suggest that specifying the type of question may help others better understand and answer the question.
Chewy0087
Hey there, been wondering about this for quite a while now, sorry if it's in the wrong section;

What's the perfect way to answer a difficult structured question?

I'm talking about long difficult intuitive questions here, which occurred to me when I was trying some of the past Aptitude Tests for Oxford undergraduate physics.

Doing almost all of the paper I was lucky in that I've read into different bits of science not at all related to the syllabus so I was able to answer a lot of the 'tricky' ones which would be very challenging had you not known the specific way to look at the question/formula.

So say you see a difficult question and you think, i have no idea how to answer this, but you had to give it a go (without researching) how would you go about it? I mean, try and write out the problem algebraically? Look for related formulas? Try and related to past questions you've seen? I'm genuinely interested to hear how people solve problems, I seem to simply stumble onto answers or not find them at all, although given enough time I can usually get my head around them.

I'm looking particularly for advice from people who're taking/have taken degree's and who're very good at analysing& solving problems. Any help is appreciated.

Sorry for the huge paragraph =P

Physics news on Phys.org
I think more people would be on the same page if you specify the type of question (physics, math, how to get to Y from X) because I think this seems too general of a question to ask. Personally, I think you have to have a good sense of 'how much' you don't know about the question if that is describable in an appropriate fashion here.

I understand the importance of approaching a difficult question with a systematic and analytical mindset. The perfect way to answer a difficult structured question may vary depending on the individual, but there are some general strategies that can be helpful.

First, it is important to carefully read and understand the question. This may involve breaking it down into smaller parts or rephrasing it in your own words to ensure you fully understand what is being asked.

Next, it is helpful to draw on your knowledge and understanding of related concepts and formulas. This can help guide you in the direction of a solution and also provide context for the question.

In addition, utilizing problem-solving techniques such as creating a diagram or breaking the problem down into smaller steps can be useful in tackling a difficult question.

It is also important to remain calm and focused while approaching the question. Taking deep breaths and staying organized can help with this.

Lastly, practice and experience are key in becoming better at solving difficult questions. The more you encounter and work through challenging problems, the more equipped you will become at approaching them in a systematic and efficient manner.

I hope this advice is helpful in your quest to become better at analyzing and solving difficult questions. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is the perfect method to answer a question?

The perfect method to answer a question varies depending on the situation and the type of question being asked. However, some key elements of a good answer include understanding the question, providing relevant and accurate information, and communicating clearly and concisely.

2. How can I improve my ability to answer questions effectively?

There are several ways to improve your ability to answer questions effectively. Some tips include actively listening and understanding the question, researching and gathering information, organizing your thoughts and ideas, and practicing clear and concise communication.

3. What are some common mistakes people make when answering questions?

Some common mistakes people make when answering questions include not fully understanding the question, providing irrelevant or incorrect information, rambling or going off-topic, and lacking confidence or clarity in their response. It is important to actively listen and think before answering to avoid these mistakes.

4. Is there a specific structure or format I should follow when answering a question?

While there is no one-size-fits-all structure or format for answering a question, it can be helpful to start with a brief introduction or summary of the question, followed by your main points or arguments, and concluding with a concise summary or final thoughts. This can help provide a clear and organized answer.

5. How do I handle difficult or unexpected questions?

Handling difficult or unexpected questions can be challenging, but it is important to remain calm and composed. Take a moment to gather your thoughts and ask for clarification if needed. If you do not know the answer, it is okay to admit that and offer to follow up with more information later. Remember to stay respectful and professional in your response.