1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perfect Method to Answer a Question

1. Jun 4, 2009 #1
    Hey there, been wondering about this for quite a while now, sorry if it's in the wrong section;

What's the perfect way to answer a difficult structured question?

I'm talking about long difficult intuitive questions here, which occurred to me when I was trying some of the past Aptitude Tests for Oxford undergraduate physics.

Doing almost all of the paper I was lucky in that i've read into different bits of science not at all related to the syllabus so I was able to answer alot of the 'tricky' ones which would be very challenging had you not known the specific way to look at the question/formula.

So say you see a difficult question and you think, i have no idea how to answer this, but you had to give it a go (without researching) how would you go about it? I mean, try and write out the problem algebraically? Look for related formulas? Try and related to past questions you've seen? I'm genuinely interested to hear how people solve problems, I seem to simply stumble onto answers or not find them at all, although given enough time I can usually get my head around them.

I'm looking particularly for advice from people who're taking/have taken degree's and who're very good at analysing& solving problems. Any help is appreciated.

Sorry for the huge paragraph =P

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2009 #2
    I think more people would be on the same page if you specify the type of question (physics, math, how to get to Y from X) because I think this seems too general of a question to ask. Personally, I think you have to have a good sense of 'how much' you don't know about the question if that is describable in an appropriate fashion here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook