Period of a Proton's Orbit arount magnetic field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 5K views
Chase11
Messages
34
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A proton moves perpendicular to a magnetic field of .005 T. What is the period of the proton's circular orbit?

Homework Equations


1. T=2pi/v
2. FB=qv x B

The Attempt at a Solution


I know I need to solve for velocity first so I can use the period equation, but I don't understand how I can do that without being given the force. If I knew the force, I could solve for v using equation 2 and then plug that value into equation 1 to find the period.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the period of the proton's circular orbit?
What sort of force is associated with circular motion?
(note: eq. 1 is incorrect.)
 
Last edited:
I always thought it was gravitational force, but I have never done a problem in which I need to find the period of a proton moving around a magnetic field. I can't find any other equations that I can use for the period, as I don't have enough information. Is gravitational force what you are referring to?
 
Okay so are you saying that I need to solve for the centripetal force, and that will be the force that I use in my equation 2? I'm still confused though, because the centripetal force formula requires me to know the velocity and the radius. I see why it would be a centripetal force, I just don't understand how I would be able to solve for that with the information I am given.
 
I honestly thought it was just the magnetic force, we've never done anything where I needed to know anything other than the magnetic field, velocity, and charge. Does gravity act as a force on a proton? And then you said it is like a centripetal force.
 
The centripetal force applies to circular motion - lots of things go in circles: not just planets.
In this case, the magnetic force is to the proton what gravity is to the planet.

There is one force on the proton: that is the magnetic force.
Because this force makes the proton go in a circle, that force is also the centripetal force.
So how od you write that out mathematically?
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Chase11
FB=qv x B= mv2/r

Is that right? I would still need the radius to be able to solve this.
 
Keep going, maybe it cancels at some moment...

Remember
Simon Bridge said:
(note: eq. 1 is incorrect.)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Chase11
Chase11 said:
FB=qv x B= mv2/r

Is that right?
Yes.
I would still need the radius to be able to solve this.
No you don't.
You don't know v or r, but you do know v/r (see the correct equation 1).