Period of a Proton's Orbit arount magnetic field

In summary: So you can use that in the equation to get the period.In summary, the proton moves around a magnetic field of .005 T for a period of 2.0 seconds.
Chase11

Homework Statement

A proton moves perpendicular to a magnetic field of .005 T. What is the period of the proton's circular orbit?

Homework Equations

1. T=2pi/v
2. FB=qv x B

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to solve for velocity first so I can use the period equation, but I don't understand how I can do that without being given the force. If I knew the force, I could solve for v using equation 2 and then plug that value into equation 1 to find the period.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the period of the proton's circular orbit?
What sort of force is associated with circular motion?
(note: eq. 1 is incorrect.)

Last edited:
I always thought it was gravitational force, but I have never done a problem in which I need to find the period of a proton moving around a magnetic field. I can't find any other equations that I can use for the period, as I don't have enough information. Is gravitational force what you are referring to?

Okay so are you saying that I need to solve for the centripetal force, and that will be the force that I use in my equation 2? I'm still confused though, because the centripetal force formula requires me to know the velocity and the radius. I see why it would be a centripetal force, I just don't understand how I would be able to solve for that with the information I am given.

How many forces are on the proton?

I honestly thought it was just the magnetic force, we've never done anything where I needed to know anything other than the magnetic field, velocity, and charge. Does gravity act as a force on a proton? And then you said it is like a centripetal force.

The centripetal force applies to circular motion - lots of things go in circles: not just planets.
In this case, the magnetic force is to the proton what gravity is to the planet.

There is one force on the proton: that is the magnetic force.
Because this force makes the proton go in a circle, that force is also the centripetal force.
So how od you write that out mathematically?

Last edited:
Likes Chase11
FB=qv x B= mv2/r

Is that right? I would still need the radius to be able to solve this.

Keep going, maybe it cancels at some moment...

Remember
Simon Bridge said:
(note: eq. 1 is incorrect.)

Likes Chase11
I got it thanks.

Chase11 said:
FB=qv x B= mv2/r

Is that right?
Yes.
I would still need the radius to be able to solve this.
No you don't.
You don't know v or r, but you do know v/r (see the correct equation 1).

1. What is the period of a proton's orbit around a magnetic field?

The period of a proton's orbit around a magnetic field is the time it takes for the proton to complete one full revolution around the field. It is typically measured in seconds.

2. How is the period of a proton's orbit affected by the strength of the magnetic field?

The period of a proton's orbit is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that as the strength of the magnetic field increases, the period of the orbit also increases.

3. What factors affect the period of a proton's orbit?

The period of a proton's orbit is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the mass of the proton, and the radius of the orbit. Other factors such as external forces and the presence of other particles can also have an impact.

4. Is the period of a proton's orbit constant?

No, the period of a proton's orbit is not constant. It can change if the strength of the magnetic field changes or if the proton's mass or orbit radius is altered. However, under constant conditions, the period should remain consistent.

5. How is the period of a proton's orbit calculated?

The period of a proton's orbit can be calculated using the formula T = 2πm/Bq, where T is the period, m is the mass of the proton, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and q is the charge of the proton. This formula is based on the principles of circular motion and electromagnetic forces.