1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Period of mass M hanging vertically from a spring

1. Apr 9, 2008 #1
    What is the period of this motion: a mass M hanging vertically from a spring, of spring constant k, under the influence of gravity.

I figured:
    Mg-ky=Ma=Mw^2y

(w being angular freguency)

I know the solution(T=2pi * seqroot(M/k)) but how can I get there?? how can I eliminate Mg? Mg=k*ʌy equation leads to nowhere

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2008 #2
    well say we have the system at rest, then [tex]Mg=kx_0[/tex], so say now we define our equilibrium point to be [tex]L+x_0[/tex] where [tex]x_0[/tex] is the initial extension, and [tex]L[/tex] is the natural length. introducing a small displacement, the spring will then oscillate about [tex]L+x_0[/tex] under the restoring force [tex]-kx[/tex]. then we see that [tex]\ddot{x}=-\frac{k}{M}x[/tex]. this then gives us [tex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{k}{M}}[/tex] and thus [tex]T=2\pi \sqrt{\frac{M}{k}}[/tex]

4. Apr 10, 2008 #3
    thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?