Period of proton orbit in 0.758T magnetic field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
ballahboy
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
A proton moves in a circular orbit perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field of 0.758T. Find the time it takes the proton to make one pass around the orbit.

Just need someone to help me start off. All I have is that the B=0.758T, q=1.6x10^-19C and m=1.67x10^-27kg. What formulas do I need to use to find t?
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hmm so r=mv/qB is derived from mv^2/r=qvB. I got r=(1.4x10^-8)v. the thing is.. i don't kno the relationship between the time, radius and velocity. Do i use r to find the circumference and multiply that by the velocity? I am not really sure..
thanks for the response
 
ok i got the correct answer now.. THanks a lot! :D