Periodic potential V(x) -- how can I show that the period is d?

In summary, to show that period is d for a periodic potential, you can change the values of x in terms of d and observe when you get the full cycle. This applies to a function with a period of d, where f(x) = f(x + d) for all x. By shifting x to x + d, it can be seen that d is the smallest period. It should be noted that this is a mathematical concept, not a physical one.
GAB1
upload_2018-11-1_21-38-5.png
periodic potential

upload_2018-11-1_21-38-52.png

how can i show that period is d

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-1_21-38-5.png
    upload_2018-11-1_21-38-5.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 863
  • upload_2018-11-1_21-38-52.png
    upload_2018-11-1_21-38-52.png
    922 bytes · Views: 869
Mathematics news on Phys.org
GAB1 said:
View attachment 233240periodic potential

View attachment 233241
how can i show that period is d

for cos (2πx/d), change the values of x in terms of d, i.e. 0.1d, 0.2d ... etc... When do you get the full cycle?

BTW, this is math, not physics.

Zz.

If ##f(x)## has a period of ##d## then ##f(x) = f(x + d)## for all ##x##.

Change ##x## to ##x + d##. See what happens.

I should note that this only establishes the ##d## is a period. If you shift a sine wave of period ##T## by 10 periods, you get the same sine wave, so ##10T## is a period but not the smallest period. You have to do a little more reasoning to establish that ##d## is the smallest period.

Thread closed as the OP has been banned.

1. How can I experimentally determine the period of a periodic potential?

The period of a periodic potential can be determined experimentally by measuring the potential at different distances and identifying the distance at which the potential repeats itself. This distance is the period, denoted by d.

2. Can the period of a periodic potential vary?

Yes, the period of a periodic potential can vary depending on the shape and amplitude of the potential. In general, the period is determined by the spacing between the repeating units of the potential.

3. Is the period of a periodic potential always constant?

No, the period of a periodic potential may not always be constant. In some cases, the potential may have a small amount of variation over time, resulting in a slightly different period. However, for most practical purposes, the period is considered constant.

4. How can I mathematically prove that the period of a potential is d?

Mathematically, the period of a potential can be shown to be d by using the definition of a periodic function and analyzing the behavior of the potential over a period of d. This can be done using Fourier analysis or by graphing the potential and identifying the repeating pattern over a distance of d.

5. What is the significance of knowing the period of a potential?

Knowing the period of a potential is important for understanding the behavior of a system under the influence of the potential. It allows for the prediction of energy levels and the properties of matter in the system. Additionally, the period can be used to design experiments and devices based on the potential.