Weak periodic potential-degeneracy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of degeneracy in the context of electrons in a weak periodic potential. Degeneracy refers to the wave functions having the same energy, and in a single atom, all the electrons are in different orbitals with different energy values, making them non-degenerate. However, in a conduction material, the electrons are in bands with nearly degenerate energy levels, meaning they have a small energy difference and can be considered a continuum. The conversation ends with one person offering to send the book for clarification, but the other person expresses they are currently studying for an exam on solid state physics.
moj20062001
Hi;

In chapter 9 of Solid state physics of Ashcroft&Mermin(Electrons in a weak periodic potential),
there is a General Approch to the Schrodinger Equation when the Potential is Weak.

i can't understand what is meant by the term DEGENERACY?
or what does "nearly degenerate free electron levels mean"?
how should we visuallize degenerate and non-degenerate energy levels?
what are the differences and how can we interpret them?

i'm totally confused.

Thank u All.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't read/don't know the book, but degenerate means that the wave functions have the same energy.

In a single atom, all the atoms are in different orbitals which have different energy values, so they are 'non-degenerate'. (link 1)

In a conduction material, however, the electrons are bounded in bands, bands who are a few eV thick (link2).
In theory, those bands are still discrete (which means every electron has a different energy), but the differences is so small (few μeV, compared to a band which is a few eV thick, we can call it a continuum (which means the electrons have the 'same' energy), which means they are non-degenerate: different electrons with same energy.

link 1: http://library.thinkquest.org/C006669/media/Chem/img/Series.gif
link 2: http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/@api/deki/files/7389/=chemwiki_picure_2.jpg

Dreak said:
I haven't read/don't know the book, but degenerate means that the wave functions have the same energy.

In a single atom, all the atoms are in different orbitals which have different energy values, so they are 'non-degenerate'. (link 1)

In a conduction material, however, the electrons are bounded in bands, bands who are a few eV thick (link2).
In theory, those bands are still discrete (which means every electron has a different energy), but the differences is so small (few μeV, compared to a band which is a few eV thick, we can call it a continuum (which means the electrons have the 'same' energy), which means they are non-degenerate: different electrons with same energy.

link 1: http://library.thinkquest.org/C006669/media/Chem/img/Series.gif
link 2: http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/@api/deki/files/7389/=chemwiki_picure_2.jpg

thanks Dreak.
but i know the meaning of degeneracy in such cases as you mentioned.
the problem is some how confusing in this case,i can't visuallize something like what you have shown in the links.
as a matter of fact,i can't get what is the term degeneracy referring to...!
i can send u the book if you want!?

moj20062001 said:
thanks Dreak.
but i know the meaning of degeneracy in such cases as you mentioned.
the problem is some how confusing in this case,i can't visuallize something like what you have shown in the links.
as a matter of fact,i can't get what is the term degeneracy referring to...!
i can send u the book if you want!?

Ai, don't know what you mean then :)

Don't have time now to see the book, I got an exam tomorrow, subject: 'solid state physics' ;)

Dreak said:
Ai, don't know what you mean then :)

Don't have time now to see the book, I got an exam tomorrow, subject: 'solid state physics' ;)

Good luck!
:)
what is the book then,that you are studying?!
;)

Related to Weak periodic potential-degeneracy

1. What is a weak periodic potential-degeneracy?

A weak periodic potential-degeneracy refers to a physical phenomenon in which a periodic potential energy function leads to the degeneracy of energy levels in a system. This means that multiple energy levels have the same energy value, resulting in a degenerate state.

2. How does a weak periodic potential-degeneracy affect a system?

A weak periodic potential-degeneracy can significantly influence the properties and behavior of a system. It can lead to the emergence of new energy levels and can affect the overall symmetry and stability of the system.

3. What causes a weak periodic potential-degeneracy?

A weak periodic potential-degeneracy is caused by the periodicity of the potential energy function in a system. When the potential energy function has a regular pattern or repetition, it can result in the degeneracy of energy levels.

4. Can a weak periodic potential-degeneracy be observed in nature?

Yes, a weak periodic potential-degeneracy can be observed in various natural phenomena, such as in the electronic structure of crystals or in the energy levels of atoms and molecules. It is also an important concept in condensed matter physics and quantum mechanics.

5. How is a weak periodic potential-degeneracy related to quantum mechanics?

A weak periodic potential-degeneracy is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics as it explains the degeneracy of energy levels in systems with a periodic potential energy function. It is also crucial in understanding the properties and behavior of quantum systems.