1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Permuations of identical items

1. Nov 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a book with 2 volumes. Each volume exists in 3 different languages. Each language has 2 identical copies(total of 12 books).
    In how many ways we can arrange them on a shelf, with no restrictions and order of the volumes is irrelevant?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought that since we have 12 books, we can arrange them in ##\frac{12!}{(2!)^6}## but apparently it is not correct. The correct answer is ##\frac{12!}{6!}## but I am not sure why.

What am I missing?
    Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're missing an attempt at the solution, so we can see where you go wrong.

4. Nov 7, 2016 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

PS as the question is stated, I would say the answer is 1. If order is irrelevant, then you have the same 12 books on the shelf in all cases.

5. Nov 7, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

PPS I agree with your answer! If you assume that order is relevant.

6. Nov 7, 2016 #5
    I have just edited that the order of the volumes is irrelevant... does it add any information?

7. Nov 7, 2016 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If books are on a shelf, then the order defines the arrangement; otherwise, as I said, you only have the one set of books. It's different if two books are identical, then you can swap those without changing the arrangement. But, if you swap Volume 1 and Volume 2, by definition you have a different arrangement of books.

I'd be happy that you solved the question the sensible way. I wouldn't get too hung up on what precisely the question setter had in mind in this case.

8. Nov 7, 2016 #7
    Well, we have 6 sets of books, each set consists of 2 identical books. Like: ##A_1,A_1;B_1,B_1;C_1,C_1;A_2,A_2;B_2,B_2;C_2,C_2;## where the 1's and 2's refer to the volume(vol1 or vol2). That's the case the question talks about. So I can't understand why my answer is not correct... Maybe it's not me?

9. Nov 7, 2016 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is why you should have posted your working in the first place. You can swap the two ##A_1##'s etc. without changing the order. That's why I thought you got ##\frac{12!}{(2!)^6}##.

I can't make sense of the order of volumes not being relevant. If you interpret that as ##A_1, A_1, A_2, A_2## can be in any order, then you'd just get ##\frac{12!}{(4!)^3}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted