Permutations and Combinations of samples

In summary: Thanks.In summary, there are 53130 possible ways to select 5 buses from a total of 25. Out of these, 53130/20=6375600=5.3130, or there is a .0235 probability that at least 4 of the 5 buses chosen will have visible cracks.
exitwound
Review problem. I have the answers. Don't know how to get them. Answers in brackets.

Homework Statement

Shortly after being put into service, some buses manufactured by a certain company have developed cracks on the underside of the main frame. Suppose a paricular city has 25 of these buses, and cracks have actually appeared on 8 of them.

a.)How many ways are there to select a sample of 5 buses from the 25 for a thorough inspection? [53130]

b.) In how many ways can a sample of 5 buses contain exactly 4 with visible cracks? [1190]

c.) If a sample of 5 buses is chosen at random, what is the probability that exactly 4 of the 5 will have visible cracks? [.0224]

d.) If buses are selected as in part (c), what is the probability that at least 4 of those selected will have visible cracks? [.0235]

Homework Equations

[tex]Permutations = P_{k,n} = \frac{n!}{(n-k)!}[/tex]

[tex]Combinations = \begin{pmatrix}
n\\
k
\end{pmatrix}= \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) I'm looking for the total number of combinations of choosing 5 buses out of the 25 buses. Therefore

[tex]Combinations = \begin{pmatrix}
n\\
k
\end{pmatrix} = \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!} = \frac{25!}{5!(25-5)!} = 53130[/tex]

b.) I don't know how to set it up.
c.) Didn't attempt it because I can't do (b).
d.) Didn't attempt it because I can't do (b).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer to part a is wrong. 25!/20! doesn't equal 53130; it's equal to 6375600.

Do you understand the difference between permutations and combinations? With permutations, order matters; with combinations, it doesn't. For example, suppose you have n=3 items, A, B, and C and you select k=2 of them. There are 6=3!/(3-2)! permutations you can get, namely AB, BA, AC, CA, BC, and CB. But there are only 3=3!/[2!(3-2)!] combinations you can get because the pairs AB and BA, AC and CA, and BC and CB only count as one combination each since the order doesn't matter.

In part a, the order of the busses doesn't matter, so you want to calculate the number of combinations, not permutations.

Yes I figured that out but physicsforums went down and I couldn't edit it.

In part b, they're asking how many ways can you choose 5 buses from the 25 total such that 4 will contain cracks and one won't. That means you have to choose 4 from the 8 with cracks and 1 from the remaining 17.

b.)[tex] \begin{pmatrix}
8\\
\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}
17\\
\end{pmatrix} = \frac{8!}{4!4!} * \frac{17!}{1!16!}= 1190[/tex]

c.) [tex] \frac{\begin{pmatrix}
8\\
17\\
\end{pmatrix}}{\begin{pmatrix}
25\\
\end{pmatrix}} = \frac{\frac{8!}{4!4!} * \frac{17!}{1!16!}}{\frac{25!}{5!20!}} = .0224[/tex]

d.) [tex] \frac{\begin{pmatrix}
8\\
17\\
\end{pmatrix}}{\begin{pmatrix}
25\\
\end{pmatrix}} + AnswerToPartC = \frac{\frac{8!}{5!3!} * \frac{17!}{0!17!}}{\frac{25!}{5!20!}} + .0224 = .0235[/tex]

Is this how it's done?

Yup, perfect.

1. What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations and combinations are both ways of arranging or selecting items from a group. The main difference between them is that permutations take into account the order of the items, while combinations do not.

2. How do I calculate the number of possible permutations or combinations?

The formula for permutations is n! / (n-r)! where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items being selected.The formula for combinations is n!/ r!(n-r)! where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items being selected.

3. Can permutations and combinations be used for both samples with and without replacement?

Yes, permutations and combinations can be used for both samples with and without replacement. However, the formulas for calculating them may differ depending on whether replacement is allowed or not.

4. What is the significance of permutations and combinations in real-world applications?

Permutations and combinations are used in various fields such as mathematics, statistics, and computer science to solve problems related to probability, counting, and data analysis. They are also commonly used in fields such as genetics, finance, and engineering.

5. How can I apply permutations and combinations in my research or experiments?

Permutations and combinations can be applied in research or experiments to determine the number of possible outcomes or arrangements, as well as to calculate probabilities. They can also be used to design experiments and analyze data in a systematic and organized manner.