1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Permutations and directions of Integers

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    Given this permutations {1,2....,n}, prove that the directions of 1 and 2 never change.

Proof: When generating permutations, one starts with everything having a left facing arrow. In order to determine what is mobile, the arrow must be pointing towards a smaller integer. 1 points to nothing so it is no mobile. 2 is mobile, however once it moves to the left it is no longer mobile. The remainder of the integers in {1,2,...,n} are mobile. Therefore, 1 and 2 will always point to the left since all the other integers are larger than those two.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see any arrows here. I don't know what your problem or description means. Can you explain using a more standard mathematical notation?

4. Feb 22, 2009 #3
    I don't know how to put arrows above the numbers.

5. Feb 22, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's ok. I wouldn't understand what it meant anyway. What does the problem mean? How is {1,2,3,...,n} a permutation? Do you mean the cycle (1,2,3,...,n)? Your notation and adjectives like 'mobile' and 'direction' are pretty obscure for me.

6. Feb 22, 2009 #5
    Basically you want to track how integers move in a permutation. I'm not sure how to explain it more than that. And I need to prove that 1 and 2 will always have a left facing direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook