1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perpendicular 3D Vector Problem

1. Feb 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Give an example of a vector perpendicular to [6,2,3] that has the same length.

2. Relevant equations
    Distance formula between two points on a 3D plane:
    Sqrt[(X1-X2)2 + (Y1-Y2)2 + (Z1-Z2)2]

3. The attempt at a solution
    In 2D space, the perpendicular vector of [X,Y] is [-Y,X]. However, I know that 3D vectors have an infinite number of perpendicular vectors. Then I thought to myself that I should use the distance between to points to figure out the length, but since the problem does not give me the second point, I do not know what the length of the line is. I was thinking of starting at the origin, since the line from the origin to the point is the hypotenuse of the triangle the points make in 3D. I got 6.2, but now do not know how to go from here. Help is very appreciated.

P.S. Just for further learning, how would I show that two vectors are perpendicular in the same equation?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

Have you learnt about "scalar product" or "dot product" of two vectors?

4. Feb 5, 2010 #3
    No, not yet. Only a sophmore in high school. If those concepts A) are on the SAT and B) help me find the answer, an explanation would be very appreciated.
  5. Feb 5, 2010 #4

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook