Perpendicular component of vectors

In summary, the conversation is about finding the perpendicular component of vector p of vector q, but the wording is unclear as to whether it refers to the component of vector p that is perpendicular to vector q or the component of vector q that is perpendicular to vector p. The person asking the question is unsure of what is being asked and is seeking clarification.
AlchemistK

Homework Statement

Vector p = i + j + k
Vector q = 2i - j

Find the perpendicular component of vector p of vector q.

I think i have provided everything what is required, i just don't know what to find. I didn't get what the perpendicular compnent of vector p of vector q means.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 345
Physics news on Phys.org
The wording is not at all clear.

Are you to find the component of vector p which is perpendicular to vector q ?

or

Are you to find the component of vector q which is perpendicular to vector p ?

Thats the thing, if it was any of those two you mentioned, i would've done it but our teacher stated the problem exactly as i have written it.

What is the perpendicular component of a vector?

The perpendicular component of a vector is the part of the vector that is perpendicular or at a right angle to another vector or surface. It is the part of the vector that does not lie in the same direction as the other vector.

How do you calculate the perpendicular component of a vector?

The perpendicular component of a vector can be calculated by taking the dot product of the vector and the unit vector that is perpendicular to the other vector or surface. The resulting scalar value is then multiplied by the unit vector to determine the perpendicular component.

What is the significance of the perpendicular component of vectors in physics?

The perpendicular component of vectors is significant in physics because it helps us understand the direction and magnitude of forces acting on objects. It is also important in calculating the torque or rotational force on an object.

Can the perpendicular component of a vector be negative?

Yes, the perpendicular component of a vector can be negative. This indicates that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the reference vector or surface.

How is the perpendicular component of a vector represented mathematically?

The perpendicular component of a vector is represented by using the cross product notation. For example, the perpendicular component of vector A with respect to vector B can be written as A x B.