Find Perpendicular Vector w/ Dot Product

In summary, to find a vector perpendicular to two given vectors using the dot product, you need to set the dot product of those vectors with the unknown vector equal to zero. This will result in two equations with three unknowns. You can then solve for two of the unknowns and choose any value for the third one. Alternatively, you can use the cross product, which is only applicable in 3D space, to find a perpendicular vector to two given vectors. This vector can then be multiplied by any scalar to make it look neater, although this step is not necessary.
Spectre32
If you had two vectors, and you wanted to find a vector perpendicular to those useing th dot product, what would be needed to be done. I alreaded Doted A *dot* B and have a vector. I'm just stuck on the last part

Physics news on Phys.org
let the unknow vector have variables u=xi+yj+zk.

The dot product of perpendicular vectors is zero so you dot vectors a and b with U and set the results equal to zero.

You'll have two equations with three unknows which is expected because the component of U perpendicular the a and b can be any length you want it you be.
lets say a=(1,2,3) and b=(3,5,7)

[tex]x1+y2+z3=0[/tex]
[tex]x3+y5+z7=0[/tex]

I can choose to solve for x and y I get:

z=-1/2y
z=-x

Now I can let z be anything I want--I'll choose -2 to elliminate the -1/2.

x=2
y=1
z=-2

thus u=(2,1,-2) is perp to a and b.

I did the above in my head so it might not be right... The process is though. Check the above to see if I did it correctly.

Good luck.

yeah it looks ok.. I see what's going on now... Soo was me figureing out the dot product useless? Or can i use that as my x1 + y2 +z3 = ?"

Just as a sidenote, another way to approach this problem if you don't "have to" use dot products, is to use the cross product. This works because the cross product of two vectors is perpendicular to both. The vector you get as an answer can than me multiplied by any scalar to make the answer look neater, although this isn't necessary.

Yeah I took notice to that, but i had doing these when I wasn't funny aware that a x b if noy equal to 0 means this.

eddo said:
Just as a sidenote, another way to approach this problem if you don't "have to" use dot products, is to use the cross product. This works because the cross product of two vectors is perpendicular to both. The vector you get as an answer can than me multiplied by any scalar to make the answer look neater, although this isn't necessary.

This is only true for 3D space. You can't use the cross product in spaces greater that 3D or less than 3D.

What is a dot product?

A dot product, also known as a scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and returns a scalar value. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and adding them together.

How can I find the perpendicular vector using dot product?

To find a perpendicular vector using dot product, you will need to use the formula v⊥ = v - (v · u)u, where v is the original vector and u is the unit vector in the direction of the desired perpendicular vector.

What is the significance of finding a perpendicular vector using dot product?

Finding a perpendicular vector using dot product is useful in many applications, such as finding the normal vector to a surface, calculating the angle between two vectors, and determining the direction of motion in physics problems.

Can I use dot product to find perpendicular vectors in higher dimensions?

Yes, dot product can be used to find perpendicular vectors in any number of dimensions. The formula for finding a perpendicular vector remains the same, but the calculations may become more complex as the number of dimensions increases.

Are there any other methods for finding perpendicular vectors besides using dot product?

Yes, there are other methods for finding perpendicular vectors, such as using cross product, or solving systems of linear equations. However, dot product is often the most straightforward and efficient method for finding perpendicular vectors.