How Do Four-Vectors with Orthogonal Dot Products Determine Each Other's Nature?

In summary: I understand what you mean now on how to prove using contradiction, but I'm curious on what @Ibix mean by using rapidity to prove this, I still can't find a way to use rapidity to show...I cannot say for sure, but perhaps @Ibix was joking because rapidity is a concept used in special relativity and is not relevant to this problem. It is possible that he was making a pun about looking things up quickly.
shinobi20
Homework Statement
Given the basic definition of four-vectors, I want to show some basic properties of two four-vectors contracted and some variation of that.
Relevant Equations
##A \cdot B = A^\mu B_\mu##
Two four-vectors have the property that ##A^\mu B_\mu = 0##

(a) Suppose ##A^\mu A_\mu > 0##. Show that ##B^\mu B_\mu \leq 0##

(b) Suppose ##A^\mu A_\mu = 0##. Show that ##B^\mu## is either proportional to ##A^\mu## (that is, ##B^\mu = k A^\mu##) or else ##B^\mu B_\mu < 0##.

Part (a) is intuitive to me since if the dot product of two four-vectors is zero then either they are perpendicular (if that makes sense in 4-d) or one of the vectors is the zero vector. Since ##A^\mu B_\mu = 0## and ##A^\mu A_\mu > 0##, it is trivial that ##B^\mu = 0## so the only scenario left is if one of the four-vectors is timelike (##A^\mu##) and the other is spacelike (##B^\mu##), which is what to be shown. However, I am thinking is there any analytical way of showing part (a)? Can anyone give me a hint on how to do it?

For part (b), I have no idea how to show it analytically too.

Physics news on Phys.org
For three vectors you have ##u \cdot v = |u||v|\cos \theta##.

Is there something analogous for four vectors?

PeroK said:
For three vectors you have ##u \cdot v = |u||v|\cos \theta##.

Is there something analogous for four vectors?
I can only think of ##\textbf{u} \cdot \textbf{v} = u^0v^0 - |\vec{u}||\vec{v}|\cos \theta##.

shinobi20 said:
I can only think of ##\textbf{u} \cdot \textbf{v} = u^0v^0 - |\vec{u}||\vec{v}|\cos \theta##.
Try looking online. Everything is online now!

PeroK said:
Try looking online. Everything is online now!
And can be looked up with some rapidity, in fact.

(If you don't get the joke, you haven't understood what @PeroK is talking about)

Likes PeroK
shinobi20 said:
Yes, you can use this relation ##0=A\cdot B = A^0B^0-|\vec{A}||\vec{B}|\cos \theta## with the other condition ##A^2=A\cdot A = A_{\mu}A^{\mu}>0## to get a relation between ##B^0## and ##|\vec{B}|##. Then you can prove a) using reduction to absurdity.

For b) is exactly the same, but instead of supposing ##A^2>0## you use ##A^2=0##.

Gaussian97 said:
Yes, you can use this relation ##0=A\cdot B = A^0B^0-|\vec{A}||\vec{B}|\cos \theta## with the other condition ##A^2=A\cdot A = A_{\mu}A^{\mu}>0## to get a relation between ##B^0## and ##|\vec{B}|##. Then you can prove a) using reduction to absurdity.

For b) is exactly the same, but instead of supposing ##A^2>0## you use ##A^2=0##.
##A^0B^0 =|\vec{A}||\vec{B}|\cos \theta \quad \rightarrow \quad \Big(\frac{A^0}{\vec{A}}\Big) = \Big(\frac{\vec{B}}{B^0}\Big) \cos \theta##

##(A^0)^2 > |\vec{A}|^2 \quad \rightarrow \quad \Big(\frac{A^0}{\vec{A}}\Big)^2 > 1##

##\Big(\frac{\vec{B}}{B^0}\Big)^2 \cos^2 \theta > 1 \quad \rightarrow \quad \Big(\frac{\vec{B}}{B^0}\Big)^2 > \frac{1}{\cos^2 \theta} \geq 1 \quad \rightarrow \quad (\vec{B})^2 \geq (B^0)^2 \quad \rightarrow \quad 0 \geq (B^0)^2 - (\vec{B})^2 \quad \rightarrow \quad 0 \geq B^\mu B_\mu##

Is this correct? I don't understand how I'm going to prove (a) using contradiction.

Ibix said:
And can be looked up with some rapidity, in fact.

(If you don't get the joke, you haven't understood what @PeroK is talking about)
I'm still thinking how to use rapidity to prove (a), more hints?

shinobi20 said:
shinobi20 said:
##A^0B^0 =|\vec{A}||\vec{B}|\cos \theta \quad \rightarrow \quad \Big(\frac{A^0}{\vec{A}}\Big) = \Big(\frac{\vec{B}}{B^0}\Big) \cos \theta##

##(A^0)^2 > |\vec{A}|^2 \quad \rightarrow \quad \Big(\frac{A^0}{\vec{A}}\Big)^2 > 1##

##\Big(\frac{\vec{B}}{B^0}\Big)^2 \cos^2 \theta > 1 \quad \rightarrow \quad \Big(\frac{\vec{B}}{B^0}\Big)^2 > \frac{1}{\cos^2 \theta} \geq 1 \quad \rightarrow \quad (\vec{B})^2 \geq (B^0)^2 \quad \rightarrow \quad 0 \geq (B^0)^2 - (\vec{B})^2 \quad \rightarrow \quad 0 \geq B^\mu B_\mu##

Is this correct? I don't understand how I'm going to prove (a) using contradiction.

Your proof for b) looks all right.

The idea behind proof by contradiction is:

(*) We know ##A \cdot B = 0## and ##A \cdot A > 0##.

If we assume that ##B \cdot B > 0## and reach a contradiction, then this proves that ##B \cdot B \le 0## (given the premise (*) above).

Another way to think of this is that if we assume all three things are true and reach a contradiction, then we know that at most two of them can be true.

shinobi20 said:

Yes, that's a correct way to prove a). Now you can try with b) which is essentially the same. Also, note that you have proved not only that ##B^2 \leq 0## but the more restrictive property that ##B^2<0##. Which also is a direct consequence of b).

Gaussian97 said:
Yes, that's a correct way to prove a). Now you can try with b) which is essentially the same. Also, note that you have proved not only that ##B^2 \leq 0## but the more restrictive property that ##B^2<0##. Which also is a direct consequence of b).
For part (b)

##(A^0)^2 = |\vec{A}|^2 \quad \rightarrow \quad \Big(\frac{A^0}{\vec{A}}\Big)^2 = 1##

##\Big(\frac{\vec{B}}{B^0}\Big)^2 \cos^2 \theta = 1 \quad \rightarrow \quad \Big(\frac{\vec{B}}{B^0}\Big)^2 = \frac{1}{\cos^2 \theta} ##

If ##~\frac{1}{\cos^2 \theta} > 1~## then

## (\vec{B})^2 > (B^0)^2 \quad \rightarrow \quad 0 > (B^0)^2 - (\vec{B})^2 \quad \rightarrow \quad 0 > B^\mu B_\mu##

If ##~\frac{1}{\cos^2 \theta} = 1~## then

## (\vec{B})^2 = (B^0)^2 \quad \rightarrow \quad 0 = (B^0)^2 - (\vec{B})^2 \quad \rightarrow \quad 0 = B^\mu B_\mu##

such that if ##~B^\mu~## is a null vector, it must satisfy the general equality ##B^\mu = k A^\mu##.

I think what I've done is correct.

PeroK said:
Your proof for b) looks all right.

The idea behind proof by contradiction is:

(*) We know ##A \cdot B = 0## and ##A \cdot A > 0##.

If we assume that ##B \cdot B > 0## and reach a contradiction, then this proves that ##B \cdot B \le 0## (given the premise (*) above).

Another way to think of this is that if we assume all three things are true and reach a contradiction, then we know that at most two of them can be true.
I understand what you mean now on how to prove using contradiction, but I'm curious on what @Ibix mean by using rapidity to prove this, I still can't find a way to use rapidity to show this.

shinobi20 said:
For part (b)

##(A^0)^2 = |\vec{A}|^2 \quad \rightarrow \quad \Big(\frac{A^0}{\vec{A}}\Big)^2 = 1##

##\Big(\frac{\vec{B}}{B^0}\Big)^2 \cos^2 \theta = 1 \quad \rightarrow \quad \Big(\frac{\vec{B}}{B^0}\Big)^2 = \frac{1}{\cos^2 \theta} ##

If ##~\frac{1}{\cos^2 \theta} > 1~## then

## (\vec{B})^2 > (B^0)^2 \quad \rightarrow \quad 0 > (B^0)^2 - (\vec{B})^2 \quad \rightarrow \quad 0 > B^\mu B_\mu##

If ##~\frac{1}{\cos^2 \theta} = 1~## then

## (\vec{B})^2 = (B^0)^2 \quad \rightarrow \quad 0 = (B^0)^2 - (\vec{B})^2 \quad \rightarrow \quad 0 = B^\mu B_\mu##

such that if ##~B^\mu~## is a null vector, it must satisfy the general equality ##B^\mu = k A^\mu##.

That's almost correct, in fact, you have proved that ##B^2 \leq 0##. But you should prove that if ##B^2=0## then ##B\propto A##.

Gaussian97 said:
That's almost correct, in fact, you have proved that ##B^2 \leq 0##. But you should prove that if ##B^2=0## then ##B\propto A##.
Isn't it because ##A^\mu## is a null vector and since it was showed that ##B^\mu## is also a null vector, so they must be proportional to each other? If there is any analytical way of showing the proportionality, can you please give me a hint?

shinobi20 said:
Isn't it because ##A^\mu## is a null vector and since it was showed that ##B^\mu## is also a null vector, so they must be proportional to each other? If there is any analytical way of showing the proportionality, can you please give me a hint?
Well, if what you say it's true you must prove it.
As a hint, I will prove to you that this is not enough, consider for example ##A^{\mu} = (1, 0, 0, 1)## and ##B^{\mu}=(1, 1, 0, 0)##. It's trivial to prove that ##A^2=B^2=0##. But is also trivial to see that they are not proportional, so there must be something more going on.

Gaussian97 said:
Well, if what you say it's true you must prove it.
As a hint, I will prove to you that this is not enough, consider for example Aμ=(1,0,0,1)Aμ=(1,0,0,1) and Bμ=(1,1,0,0)Bμ=(1,1,0,0). It's trivial to prove that A2=B2=0A2=B2=0. But is also trivial to see that they are not proportional, so there must be something more going on.
I think my proof of part (b) is lacking for the latter part, I'll add some more information.

If ##\frac{1}{\cos^2 \theta} = 1##, then ##\cos \theta =\pm 1## and ##B^\mu B_\mu = 0## which means that the magnitude of the temporal part is equal to the spatial part.

Having ##\cos \theta =\pm 1## means that ##\vec{B} = k\vec{A}## for some constant ##k##, i.e., they are either parallel or antiparallel (proportional to each other).

So, ##A^0 B^0 = |\vec{A}||\vec{B}| \cos \theta = k |\vec{A}|^2##.

Since ##(A^0)^2=|\vec{A}|^2##, we have ##A^0 B^0 = k (A^0)^2 \quad \rightarrow \quad B^0 = k A^0##.

OR more simply, ##B^0 = |\vec{B}| = k |\vec{A}| = k A^0##.

Thus, ##B^0 − \vec{B} = k A^0 - k \vec{A} = k (A^ 0 − \vec{A}) \quad \rightarrow \quad B^\mu = k A^\mu##.

Last edited:
Ok perfect, now I think that's all the exercise.
Maybe for this last part is easier to do that, since ##A^0=|\vec{A}|## and ##B^0=|\vec{B}|## then ##\vec{A}=k\vec{B}\Longrightarrow A^0=kB^0##.

Congrats

Gaussian97 said:
Ok perfect, now I think that's all the exercise.
Maybe for this last part is easier to do that, since ##A^0=|\vec{A}|## and ##B^0=|\vec{B}|## then ##\vec{A}=k\vec{B}\Longrightarrow A^0=kB^0##.

Congrats
Whoa, I just thought of that while looking at my solution again so I edited it. However, I'm still curious about what @Ibix meant for proving this using rapidity.

Apologies - I don't think I read the question carefully enough. If the vectors are both timelike or both spacelike then you can note that their inner product is ##|A||B|\cosh\phi## - but this doesn't help in this case.

A way that does work is to note that if ##A^\mu A_\mu>0## then there exists a coordinate system in which ##A^0## is the only non-zero component of ##A^\mu## and the metric is diagonal. The first result is trivial then. Similarly if ##A^\mu A_\mu=0## then there exists a coordinate system in which ##A^0=A^1## are the only non-zero components of ##A^\mu##. The second result is then straightforward.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK

Related to How Do Four-Vectors with Orthogonal Dot Products Determine Each Other's Nature?

What is a four-vector?

A four-vector is a mathematical object that has four components and follows certain transformation rules under changes in reference frames. In physics, four-vectors are commonly used to represent physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction in space and time.

What are the properties of four-vectors?

The properties of four-vectors include being invariant under Lorentz transformations, meaning they have the same components in all reference frames, and obeying the rules of vector addition and multiplication. Four-vectors also have a defined inner product, which allows for the calculation of magnitudes and angles between vectors.

What are some examples of four-vectors?

Examples of four-vectors include the position four-vector, which combines the spatial coordinates and time coordinate of an event, and the momentum four-vector, which combines the energy and momentum of a particle. Other examples include the electromagnetic field four-vector and the stress-energy-momentum tensor, which describes the energy and momentum density of a physical system.

How are four-vectors used in physics?

Four-vectors are used extensively in physics, particularly in the field of relativity. They are used to describe the motion and interactions of particles and fields, and play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of physical systems under different reference frames. Additionally, four-vectors are used in the mathematical formulation of many physical laws and equations.

What is the importance of four-vectors in special relativity?

Four-vectors are essential in special relativity as they allow for a consistent description of physical quantities in different reference frames. They also help reconcile the differences between classical mechanics and relativity, and provide a framework for understanding concepts such as time dilation and length contraction. Without four-vectors, many fundamental principles of special relativity would be difficult to express and understand.