Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perpetua mobile theoretical misunderstanding

1. Aug 10, 2013 #1
    Hello

I was patent examiner on the Portuguese patent office for 3 years and we have a lot of perpetua mobile applications, so I wanted to find now, the theoretical misunderstanding I'm missing here

attachment.php?attachmentid=60799&stc=1&d=1376122111.png

Imagine you have a track (on a table, on the xOy plane) on which a metal ball would follow, and at a certain length of the track, there would be a tubular permanent magnet, that would create a force on the ball accelerating it. That ball would be accelerated every time it passes through the tube!

I know that there is some paradox on my lemma, but I can't find where

Thank you in advance

PS: Actually I know that the magnetic field is conservative, but something is missing

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2013 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

The tube will not accelerate the ball around the track. I'm not sure what will happen inside the tube since the flux is so uniform, but once the ball leaves the tube it will be attracted right back to it.

4. Aug 10, 2013 #3
    That's what I can't understand because every time I see images of magnetic field I see this

310px-Earths_Magnetic_Field_Confusion.svg.png

By the way, I know that the force is [tex]F=q(E + v\times B)[/tex]

But how to relate the Force created by the magnetic field of a permenant magnet if the ball is stopped, v=0, and there is no Electric field

You said the ball would came back, but can't we shield the field, so the field just applies inside the tube.

Sorry, too many questions

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  5. Aug 10, 2013 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Sorry, but we do not discuss perpetual motion machines on PF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook