1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What happens to particles in synchrotron accel. if weak magentic field

1. Aug 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"Describe what might happen to the particles in the accelerator if the magnetic field was too weak."

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I am merely guessing here. I am looking on the internet for info regarding this but I can't find anything that discusses the action of a weak magnetic field on the particles in this accelerator. I would imagine that as the strong mag. field keeps them on a circular path, a weak mag. field would cause path deviation, perhaps bombarding with the evacuated tube walls? They probably also wouldn't gain enough velocity (and thus kinetic energy) or magnetic force to accelerate them forward to induce the polarity change in the accelerating cavities, and as such, they would be pulled back into the linear accelerator?
    Am I completely off-track/missing something?
    Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2014 #2
    The magnetic fields of the synchrotron stages can't actually change the speed of the particles, so their action is only to change the direction of the particle beam such that you aren't just directing it into the walls of the confinement vessel.

I think this then:
    is a reasonable answer, but let me just mention that I'm in no way an expert when it comes to synchrotrons, so maybe someone with actual experience working with them can weigh in.

4. Aug 25, 2014 #3
    Thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted