1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Personal statement for grad school with research experience in the wrong field

1. Jan 10, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone,

I am currently writing my personal statement for the application to grad school in pure mathematics. I am aware that grad school comitees usually want to hear about the specifics of your research experience: the project, your role in it, etc. However, my only research experience was from an REU completed in a very experimental field of physics. I wanted to know to what extent should I provide the details of my project.

On one hand, providing lots of details confirms that I knew exactly what I was doing, knew my role in the group and gives indication that I was not simply a mindless technical worker. However, I feel that giving the details, because of the technical terms and specifics, derails the spirit of the letter towards experimental physics, which is NOT the field that I am interested in.

Would anybody experienced with this have suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

You should be specific.

4. Jan 10, 2009 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I agree. You want to demonstrate that you were actively engaged in the research that you took part in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?