1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Person's acceleration and object's acceleration

1. Oct 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A man with mass 80 kg exerts force of 150 N on 500 kg object. What is his accleration and what is the acceleration of the object? (assume no external forces)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

not sure how to calculate the acceleration of object, but would i calculate the acceleration of the man like this--> a=150 N/80 kg...?
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2007 #2
    Draw a Free body diagram. Mass of man, force horizontal on the 500kg object. With every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. When the forces have been solved and equal to each other. Solve the acceleration using a = 150 N/500kg for the acceleration of the object. The acceleration of the man is right what you put down. Just make sure you have it in the right direction

I'll answer other questions on my website listed in my profile.
  4. Oct 16, 2007 #3
    accel. for object, would i put a negative sign in front of the answer since it's a problem dealing with newton's third law..?
  5. Oct 16, 2007 #4
    Well yea.. but draw your coordinate system in your Free body diagram. so that your teacher knows.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?