Perturbation Theory: Calculating for the correction on the ground state energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
jhosamelly
Messages
125
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


w9wj0n.jpg



Homework Equations



[itex]E_{1}=<ψ_{1}|V(r)|ψ_{1}>[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



That is equal to the integral ∫ψVψd^3r

So I'll just perform the integral, correct ? But r is not constant here right? So, I' ll keep it inside the integral? How should I continue? Please help. Thanks. :))
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jhosamelly said:
[itex]E_{1}=<ψ_{1}|V(r)|ψ_{1}>[/itex]That is equal to the integral ∫ψVψd^3r

So I'll just perform the integral, correct ? But r is not constant here right? So, I' ll keep it inside the integral?

Right, ##r## is a variable of integration.

Something to think about: In the integral should you use the potential energy ##V(r)## as stated in the problem or the perturbation ##\delta V(r)## of the potential energy (due to switching from the potential energy of a point nucleus to the potential energy of a finite-sized nucleus)?
 
TSny said:
Right, ##r## is a variable of integration.

Something to think about: In the integral should you use the potential energy ##V(r)## as stated in the problem or the perturbation ##\delta V(r)## of the potential energy (due to switching from the potential energy of a point nucleus to the potential energy of a finite-sized nucleus)?

I really don't get your point sorry. I'm guessing I should use the perturbation of the potential. But how can I get that?
 
The hydrogen atom is usually solved treating the nucleus as concentrated in a point. The ground state wavefunction that you specified was derived under this assumption.

Now you want to treat the nucleus more realistically as having a finite size and calculate a correction to the ground state energy in going from a point nucleus to the finite nucleus. The Hamiltonian for a finite nucleus can be thought of as the Hamiltonian for the point nucleus plus a "perturbation". So, the perturbation is just the difference between the Hamiltonian for a finite nucleus and the Hamiltonian for a point nucleus. You should convince yourself that the perturbation is just the change ##\delta V(r)## in the potential energy function when going from the point nucleus to the finite nucleus.

Can you find a mathematical expression for ##\delta V(r)##? The potential energy for a finite nucleus is given in the problem. So, you need to remember what the potential energy function is for a point nucleus.
 
Last edited:
you should just break up the integral at r=R.see if it works.