1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perturbation Theory: Calculating for the correction on the ground state energy

1. Dec 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    w9wj0n.jpg

2. Relevant equations

[itex]E_{1}=<ψ_{1}|V(r)|ψ_{1}>[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

That is equal to the integral ∫ψVψd^3r

So I'll just perform the integral, correct ? But r is not constant here right? So, I' ll keep it inside the integral? How should I continue? Please help. Thanks. :))

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right, ##r## is a variable of integration.

Something to think about: In the integral should you use the potential energy ##V(r)## as stated in the problem or the perturbation ##\delta V(r)## of the potential energy (due to switching from the potential energy of a point nucleus to the potential energy of a finite-sized nucleus)?

4. Dec 2, 2012 #3
    I really don't get your point sorry. I'm guessing I should use the perturbation of the potential. But how can I get that?

5. Dec 2, 2012 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The hydrogen atom is usually solved treating the nucleus as concentrated in a point. The ground state wavefunction that you specified was derived under this assumption.

Now you want to treat the nucleus more realistically as having a finite size and calculate a correction to the ground state energy in going from a point nucleus to the finite nucleus. The Hamiltonian for a finite nucleus can be thought of as the Hamiltonian for the point nucleus plus a "perturbation". So, the perturbation is just the difference between the Hamiltonian for a finite nucleus and the Hamiltonian for a point nucleus. You should convince yourself that the perturbation is just the change ##\delta V(r)## in the potential energy function when going from the point nucleus to the finite nucleus.

Can you find a mathematical expression for ##\delta V(r)##? The potential energy for a finite nucleus is given in the problem. So, you need to remember what the potential energy function is for a point nucleus.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  6. Dec 2, 2012 #5
    you should just break up the integral at r=R.see if it works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook