Perturbed circular orbit under central force motion?

In summary, the conversation is about a doubt in equation 3 of an example problem in Central Force Motion from the book "Kleppner and Kolenkow's An Introduction to Mechanics." The solution involves differentiating U_{eff} twice, evaluating it at a specific point, and replacing one variable with a value obtained earlier. The person asking the question realizes their mistake and thanks the expert for their help.
physicsxlove
I am self studying Kleppner and Kolenkow's an Introduction to mechanics. But i have one doubt about how they got into the equation no 3 of the example problem 9.3 in Central Force Motion.
Please clarify my doubt.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you quote it or give a link.

Here i have attached the photo graph of that page.
mathman said:
I suggest you quote it or give a link.

Attachments

• IMG_0043.JPG
    IMG_0043.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 723
Seems pretty straight forward. Differentiate [itex]U_{eff}[/itex] twice, evaluate it at [itex]r=r_0[/itex] and replace [itex]l[/itex] by the one we obtained earlier. This should equal k, which is related to beta.

diegzumillo said:
Seems pretty straight forward. Differentiate [itex]U_{eff}[/itex] twice, evaluate it at [itex]r=r_0[/itex] and replace [itex]l[/itex] by the one we obtained earlier. This should equal k, which is related to beta.
Omg. I am so dumb. I just calculated the second derivative and then used to sit brooding over what to do next without plugging the value of l from equation 1. I am feeling embarrassed.

Anyway,,, thank you. I got it. Better late than never.

No problem :) This is just the peeking-over-the-shoulder effect.

1. What is a perturbed circular orbit under central force motion?

A perturbed circular orbit under central force motion is a type of orbital motion in which an object, such as a planet or satellite, moves in a circular path around a central body, but is influenced by additional external forces that cause deviations from a perfectly circular path.

2. What causes perturbations in a circular orbit under central force motion?

Perturbations in a circular orbit under central force motion can be caused by a variety of factors, such as the gravitational pull of other nearby objects, atmospheric drag, or the oblateness (non-spherical shape) of the central body.

3. How do scientists study perturbed circular orbits under central force motion?

Scientists use mathematical models, such as Newton's laws of motion and Kepler's laws of planetary motion, to study perturbed circular orbits under central force motion. They also use computer simulations and data analysis to understand the effects of different perturbing forces on orbital motion.

4. What are the practical applications of studying perturbed circular orbits under central force motion?

Studying perturbed circular orbits under central force motion is crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in space, such as satellites and spacecraft. This knowledge is also important for designing and maintaining the orbits of these objects for various applications, such as communication, navigation, and scientific research.

5. Can perturbations in a circular orbit under central force motion be controlled?

In some cases, perturbations in a circular orbit under central force motion can be controlled or mitigated. For example, spacecraft can use thrusters to adjust their orbits and counteract the effects of external forces. However, in many cases, perturbations are inevitable and must be taken into account in orbital planning and maintenance.