Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PETA Asks Ben & Jerry's To Use Breast Milk

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Another fabulous idea from PETA.

Continued...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/25/ap/strange/main4478506.shtml

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Will Ben and Jerry be offering plant tours in that case?

4. Sep 26, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You're bad.

I'm wondering who's going to come to the aid of all those poor women on those milking carousels.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  5. Sep 26, 2008 #4

MacTech

Gold Member

Ah PETA making it in the news. From a business perspective it would be way to costly.

6. Sep 26, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Sep 26, 2008 #6
    And the award for the most stupid people in the world goes tooooooooooooo

8. Sep 26, 2008 #7

Art

I think Ben and Jerry's response was very diplomatic. Most folk would have just laughed in their face. (I'd be in the group of most folk)

9. Sep 26, 2008 #8
    I'd like a pint of boobberry please and another of fudge nipple.

10. Sep 26, 2008 #9
    vanilla heath bra crunch?
    watermelons?

11. Sep 26, 2008 #10
    Chocolate chest cookie dough?

hey, they can't all be gems.

12. Sep 26, 2008 #11
    This reminds me of the part in Borat (I don't care what your beliefs are, you have to see this movie...) where Sacha Baron is sharing some cheese with a Congressman or Senator and then he casually mentions that its made from his sister's milk...Ha ha

13. Sep 26, 2008 #12
    I'm not supporting this one way or the other; however, if they do go through with it, they'd better have some damn good health insurance for the facility staff.

The very least they could do is donate profit to breast cancer research.

But I'm not really surprised though that PETA approached Ben & Jerry's about this. GOD bless well-meaning hippie humanitarians and all, but this is still basically like one hippie talking to a different hippie (only one hippie prefers the taste of breast milk, and the other ice cream).

"Why not the best of both worlds then?!" Is pretty much how I envision the conversation must have gone.

It makes you wonder several things at once, of course; but one thing in particular: why is it taboo to drink the milk from another human; but still isn't to drink the milk from the mother of an animal of a different species?

As much as I like milk (I drink several glasses a day in fact, of the non-fat variety), it really is kind of weird either way. And, I suppose, it would be just as awkward an argument to say: "Well, she isn't my mother...I don't even know the women."

I don't know the cow either.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  14. Sep 26, 2008 #13
    My ex is a fat cow. She could probably use the work.

15. Sep 26, 2008 #14

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I suppose I could lend a hand.

16. Sep 26, 2008 #15
    I doubt very much that ladies would ever volunteer for this job. Just based upon what they actually do to cows, it sounds pretty painful.

17. Sep 26, 2008 #16

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Peta is being ironic here. No one there really expects any product to be produced with breast milk; they are trying to equate the exploitation of one animal as being akin to exploitation of any other animal (specifically humans).

There is no way anyone could possibly produce more than a pint or two per day. We just had three kids. Breast pump and all. Half an hour on the "machine," and you get a little baggie. Maybe a cup of the stuff. My wife made a comment on her blog a while back: never before had she been so aware of being a mammal.

Let's go back to ignoring Peta. Wacky people.

18. Sep 26, 2008 #17
    You know what though? I'll bet if they actually did this, it would become something like exotic cheeses or wines that only 1% of the world population could afford.

"Gourmet, all-natural, ORGANIC, mother's milk ice cream," is what they'd call it. Mark my words.

19. Sep 26, 2008 #18
    wonder what flavors they'd have? ignore my posts will ya grumble grumble

20. Sep 26, 2008 #19

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

You mean that the Mothers would be organically raised?

21. Sep 26, 2008 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, the fat is distributed entirely differently in human milk than cow's milk, so it just wouldn't work for ice cream.

:rofl:

Two words: Disease transmission. It's much easier to pass a disease from one human to another than from a cow to a human.

Y'know, the exploitation angle never occurred to me. Cows don't seem very happy to me if they aren't milked on time. And I didn't really have pictures in my head of women being lined up for milking machines. Actually, about all that jumped to mind was, "PETA People are crazy as usual." I mean, Ben & Jerry's? If you're going to target a company, don't they just know it's going to backfire when you pick one of the most socially conscious, "eco-friendly" companies out there?

I think I'm going to start sending PETA information about how many grasshoppers and other insects are killed when soybeans and wheat are harvested. Can anyone else think of ways that animals are killed to produce vegetables? I'm just curious how many things we can make the PETA people stop eating before they either die of starvation or come to their senses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?