PH<pKa means acidic form, but why?

In summary, the basic principle behind the pH scale is that if you add an amount of one of the above bases into a solution with a specific pH, the base will be in its acid form. However, this does not mean that the base is a very strong acid.
shrew
I've memorized the following:
pH<pka, then acidic form
pH>pka, then basic form
And I'm guessing that pH=pka means neutral.

However, my instincts tell me it would be the opposite. Take NH3, ammonia, with a pKa of around 40. And then there's NH2-, which from a google search, has an incredibly high pKa. These are both basic.

So what the above rules state, is that if you added an amount of one of the above bases into a solution with pH=0, pH=7, or pH=14... in all cases the above bases would be in their acid forms?

So they're bases yet they're going to be in their acidic forms... if practically every solvent you add them to will turn them into acids, how can they be thought of as bases?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Compounds that are strong bases are considered strong bases because they will remove protons from other substances. For example, consider the reaction of the base NH2- with a compound like methanol:

NH2- + CH3OH --> NH3 + CH3O-

In reacting with methanol the base NH2- is converted to its conjugate acid NH3. Therefore, a base being converted to its conjugate acid means that the base has done its job: it has removed a proton from another substance and it will comfortably hold on to that proton and not let go of it. Hence, most strong bases will almost always exist as their conjugate acids once you mix that base with any other substance. Similarly, most strong acids will almost always exist as their conjugate bases once you mix the acid with any other substance.

Note that even though the conjugate acid of a strong base may be referred to as an acid, it will not be a very strong acid. These conjugate acids will be very unlikely to donate their protons to other substances. For example, NH3 is a very weak acid and it takes a lot to remove the proton from NH3 to reform NH2-.

Thanks, this was the type of confirmation I needed. :) I understand now, and this may be closed.

1. Why is pKa used to measure acidity?

The term pKa is used in chemistry to quantify the strength of an acid. It is a measure of the tendency of an acid to donate a proton (H+) in a chemical reaction. The lower the pKa value, the stronger the acid. Using pKa allows for easy comparison of the relative strengths of different acids.

2. What does the "p" in pKa stand for?

The "p" in pKa stands for the negative logarithm of, in this case, the acid dissociation constant, which is represented by Ka. This allows for the expression of the Ka value in a more manageable and user-friendly format.

3. Can a pKa value be negative?

Yes, a pKa value can be negative, as it is simply the negative logarithm of the Ka value. A negative pKa indicates a very strong acid, while a positive pKa indicates a weaker acid.

4. How does pKa relate to pH?

pH and pKa are related in that they both measure the acidity of a substance. However, pH measures the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) in a solution, while pKa measures the tendency of an acid to donate a proton. In a solution with a pH equal to the pKa of an acid, half of the acid molecules will be in their protonated form and half will be in their deprotonated form.

5. What is the significance of the difference between pH and pKa?

The difference between pH and pKa is important because it can determine the behavior of an acid in a given solution. If the pH is lower than the pKa, the acid will be mostly in its protonated form, while if the pH is higher than the pKa, the acid will be mostly in its deprotonated form. This difference can affect the reactivity and solubility of a substance.