Why Do Carboxylic Acids Deprotonate?

• Thread starter Racer77
  • Start date
In summary, the pKa for carboxylic acid can range from 2-5 depending on its environment. A pKa of 2.3 would result in a ratio of 80000 deprotonated to 1 protonated, indicating that the acid is weak. The majority of the acid would be protonated at a pH lower than the pKa and deprotonated at a pH higher than the pKa. This is due to the presence of hydroxyl groups at a pH of 7, which can completely deprotonate the acid and create a zwitterion.
Racer77
Can someone explain to me why the carboxylic acid group and the amino group both have charges on them in neutral water? The pKa for carboxylic acid is around 2-5 depending on its enviroment. I am confused that a pKa of 2.3 would give a ratio of 80000 deprotonated to 1 protonated? If the acid has a pKa it means it is weak, a pKa of 2.3 gives a concentration lower than 1. I assume the majority would be protonated. But all info I read states that the majority is deprotonated at a pH of 7. Can someone explain why to me it is this way? Thank you!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
[tex]pK_{a}-pH=log{{[HA]}\over{[A^{-}]}}[/tex]

The majority is protonated when [tex]pH<pK_{a}[/tex].

The majority is deprotonated when [tex]pH>pK_{a}[/tex].

Last edited:
Are you asking why an amino acid is a zwitterion at neutral pH?

Thanks for the replies! I was having problems with looking at everything relative, because of course if you put a carboxyl group in water, it will make a low pH. What i did not understand is that a pH of 7 has so many hydroxyl groups to completely deprotonate the acid. So yeah it had to do with zwitterions too. Thank you guys.

Related to Why Do Carboxylic Acids Deprotonate?

1. Why do carboxylic acids deprotonate?

Carboxylic acids deprotonate because they are weak acids and can easily lose a hydrogen ion (proton) in the presence of a base. This deprotonation reaction results in the formation of a carboxylate ion, which is more stable due to its delocalized negative charge.

2. What factors influence the deprotonation of carboxylic acids?

The deprotonation of carboxylic acids can be influenced by several factors, such as the strength of the acid, the strength and concentration of the base, the solvent used, and the presence of other functional groups in the molecule.

3. How does the pKa value of a carboxylic acid affect its deprotonation?

The pKa value of a carboxylic acid is a measure of its acidity, with lower pKa values indicating stronger acids. A carboxylic acid with a lower pKa value will more readily lose a proton and undergo deprotonation compared to an acid with a higher pKa value.

4. Can carboxylic acids be deprotonated by other molecules besides bases?

Yes, carboxylic acids can also be deprotonated by other molecules, such as metal ions or other strong acids. In these cases, the deprotonation reaction may be reversible and depend on the equilibrium between the acid and its conjugate base.

5. What are the applications of deprotonation reactions of carboxylic acids?

The deprotonation of carboxylic acids is an important reaction in organic synthesis and in biochemical processes. It is used to prepare carboxylate salts, which have various industrial and pharmaceutical applications. The deprotonation of carboxylic acids can also be used to control the pH of a solution or to facilitate other chemical reactions.