1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase Angle between Voltage and Current

1. Oct 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"When only a resistor is connected across the terminals of an ac generator (111 V) that has a fixed frequency, there is a current of 0.465 A in the resistor. When only an inductor is connected across the terminals of this same generator, there is a current of 0.360 A in the inductor. When both the resistor and the inductor are connected in series between the terminals of this generator, calculate the following.
    (a) the impedance of the series combination

(b) the phase angle between the current and the voltage of the generator"

I got the impedance to be 389.94, but I don't know what other formulas to use to get the phase angle. Specifically, I don't know how to find XL.

2. Relevant equations

Phase angle = arctan(XL/R)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2013 #2
    Nvm, I found another formula for phase angle = cos(R/Z)

I had the wrong variables written into the equation of Z, so I didn't realize I already calculated XL >.<

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  4. Oct 30, 2013 #3
    I don't know how to find XL.

How would you find R? It is similar.

5. Oct 31, 2013 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

phase angle ɸ = cos⁻¹ (R/Z)

this is identical with ɸ = tan⁻¹ (X/R)

6. Oct 31, 2013 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Ohm's Law, you know the applied voltage and you know the current that flows.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted