1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase Difference between Voltage and Current

1. Feb 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    screen_shot_2015-02-27_at_6.39.04_pm.png
    The circuit above has a 29 omegacap.gif resistor and a 11.1 mH inductor. Calculate the theoretical phase difference between the current CPA and voltage VPB if the circuit is driven by a sinusoidal voltage source with a peak amplitude of 3.5 V at the following frequencies:

20 Hz
    420 Hz

2. Relevant equations
    tan(x) = (XL / R), XL = (omega)(L)

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried substituting into the given relevant equations, and for 20 Hz, I got 2.75 degrees. However, this is the wrong answer. Please help!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your relevant equation would give you the phase angle of the overall impedance, and that would in turn tell you the phase angle of the current with respect to the source voltage. But the question is asking you to compare the current's phase to that of the voltage across the inductor. You'll need to find expressions for the current and for VPB.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  4. Feb 27, 2015 #3
    So current = 3.5 V divided by Ztotal, and VPb = I * L * omega?

5. Feb 27, 2015 #4

gneill

That's the idea. Don't forget the "j" in the inductor's impedance.

6. Feb 27, 2015 #5
    Im confused about where to proceed from there (my professor has done a horrible job of teaching this subject and the textbook isn't making much sense to me unfortunately)

7. Feb 27, 2015 #6

gneill

Calculate the current and the voltage VPB. Put the results in polar form (magnitude and phase angle).

8. Feb 27, 2015 #7
    Uhhhh sorry I'm in the non-calculus based class...

9. Feb 27, 2015 #8

gneill

??? No calculus involved. Just circuit rules like Ohm's law.

10. Feb 28, 2015 #9

NascentOxygen

When you look at this closely, you can see that the question being asked is quite basic: what is the phase difference between current through an ideal inductor and the voltage across that ideal inductor.

No calculations are needed! :smile:

BTW, anyone know what is supposed to be represented by that box with a + and - on it??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted