Phase invariance of an EM wave in special relativity

In summary, the electric field in the K' frame is given by \vec{E'}(\vec{x},t) =\hat{z} \gamma (1-\beta) \cos{(\frac{k}{\sqrt{2}} (x+y)-\omega t)}
quasar_4

Homework Statement

So I'm trying to show for a specific, given EM plane wave in vacuum that

[tex] kx - \omega t = k' x' - \omega' t'[/tex]

but I'm running into some difficulties. I'm hoping someone can show me where I'm going wrong. Here's the setup:

In the lab frame K, a plane EM wave traveling in vacuum has an electric field given by

[tex] \vec{E}(\vec{x},t) = \hat{z} E0 \cos{(\frac{k}{\sqrt{2}} (x+y) - \omega t)} [/tex]

where E0, k are positive real constants, omega = ck

Homework Equations

Maxwell's equations
Lorentz transformation

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the B field in K using Faraday's law. Then I used the standard transformations in Jackson to go from E, B to E', B' in the K' frame.

My electric field in the K' frame is

[tex] \vec{E'}(\vec{x},t) =\hat{z} \gamma (1-\beta) \cos{(\frac{k}{\sqrt{2}} (x+y)-\omega t)} [/tex]

Now I want to use the Lorentz transformation,

[tex] x = \gamma (x' + \beta c t') \text{ , } ct = \gamma (c t' + \beta x') [/tex]

to put E' in terms of the primed coordinates. If I understand Jackson correctly (he says phase of a plane wave is an invariant), then shouldn't we be able to demand that

[tex] \frac{k}{\sqrt{2}} (x+y) -\omega t = \frac{k'}{\sqrt{2}} (x'+y') -\omega' t' [/tex]

?

I'm trying to prove this, doing simple substitution with x, y, t -> x', y', t', but I can't get the factors of k' and w' to come out correctly because of the square root of 2. I'm stuck at:
[tex] \frac{k}{\sqrt{2}} (x+y) -\omega t = \gamma \left[k x' (\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}-\beta) + \omega t' (\frac{\beta}{\sqrt{2}}-1) \right] + \frac{y' k}{\sqrt{2}} [/tex]

I don't know my initial assumption is wrong, or the algebra is just tricky. Any help appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
quasar_4 said:
If I understand Jackson correctly (he says phase of a plane wave is an invariant), then shouldn't we be able to demand that

[tex] \frac{k}{\sqrt{2}} (x+y) -\omega t = \frac{k'}{\sqrt{2}} (x'+y') -\omega' t' [/tex]

?
No, when he says the phase is invariant, he means

[tex]k_\mu x^\mu = k'_\mu x'^\mu[/tex]

where [itex]k'^\mu = \Lambda^\mu_\nu k^\nu[/itex]. Though the x and y components of k are equal in frame K, they generally won't be in K'.

Ok, thanks.

1. What is phase invariance in an EM wave in special relativity?

Phase invariance refers to the property of an electromagnetic (EM) wave where its phase, or the relative position of its crests and troughs, is unchanged when viewed by observers in different inertial frames of reference in special relativity.

2. Why is phase invariance important in special relativity?

Phase invariance is important because it allows for the consistency of the laws of physics to hold true for all observers in different frames of reference. This is a fundamental principle in special relativity, where the laws of physics should be the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

3. How is phase invariance related to the speed of light?

Phase invariance is closely related to the speed of light, as the speed of light is a constant in all inertial frames of reference in special relativity. This means that the phase of an EM wave, which is dependent on the frequency and wavelength of the wave, must also remain constant for all observers.

4. Can phase invariance be violated in special relativity?

No, phase invariance cannot be violated in special relativity. It is a fundamental principle that is inherent in the theory, and any violation of phase invariance would result in a violation of the laws of physics.

5. How is phase invariance tested or observed in experiments?

Phase invariance can be tested or observed in experiments by measuring the frequency and wavelength of an EM wave in different inertial frames of reference and comparing the results. If the phase remains consistent, then phase invariance is confirmed. Additionally, the behavior of particles and forces in different frames of reference can also be used to indirectly confirm phase invariance.