Do Masters students receive funding for graduate school?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plans to attend graduate school in atmospheric physics after graduating next spring. They are unsure about how the financial aspect works, mentioning the possibility of tuition being covered and receiving a teaching assistant position. It is also noted that PhD students tend to receive more funding than masters students. The conversation also touches on the differences in funding for masters programs in Canada, Europe, and the US.
Tone L
Well to start, I am graduating next spring and I plan on attending graduate school immediately after for some concentration in atmospheric physics.

I am slightly unknowing of how the whole 'money' situation works in graduate school. For example you get accepted into a grad program as a PhD student and they pay for your tuition and then give you X amount for like a teaching assistant thing right (best case scenario).

Will they accept you and not offer pay for like a teaching spot? I also know they might not even fund your tuition.

The big question is do you get these benefits as a Masters student?

Physics news on Phys.org
PhD students tend to get more fellowships and assistantships than masters students.

Likes Tone L
Anthony LaRosa said:
Well to start, I am graduating next spring and I plan on attending graduate school immediately after for some concentration in atmospheric physics.

I am slightly unknowing of how the whole 'money' situation works in graduate school. For example you get accepted into a grad program as a PhD student and they pay for your tuition and then give you X amount for like a teaching assistant thing right (best case scenario).

Will they accept you and not offer pay for like a teaching spot? I also know they might not even fund your tuition.

The big question is do you get these benefits as a Masters student?

Canada seems to be more lenient about masters funding but, then again, Canada has cut funding to atmosphere science. If you're interested in climate science (as a subfield of atmosphere science) then stay away from Canada!

European masters offer no funding whatsoever and there is not much possibility to bolster a research record.

But US programs most likely to fund masters often have no PhD programs to begin with.

Likes Tone L

1. What is the difference between PhD funding and Masters funding?

PhD funding is typically more comprehensive and longer in duration compared to Masters funding. PhD funding often covers tuition fees, living expenses, and research costs for several years, while Masters funding may only cover tuition fees for a shorter period of time.

2. Is it easier to get funding for a PhD or a Masters?

It depends on the field of study and the availability of funding. In general, there are more funding opportunities for PhD programs, as they are more research-intensive and require a longer commitment from the student. However, there are also funding options available for Masters students, such as scholarships and assistantships.

3. Can I get funding for both a PhD and a Masters?

It is possible to receive funding for both a PhD and a Masters program, but it is not very common. Some universities may offer combined programs where a student can complete both degrees simultaneously, while others may offer funding for a Masters degree after completing a PhD.

4. How do I apply for funding for a PhD or a Masters?

The application process for funding varies depending on the source of funding. For university-funded or department-funded positions, you may need to apply directly to the institution or department. For external funding, such as grants or scholarships, you will need to research and apply to the specific funding opportunity according to their application guidelines.

5. Can I get funding for a PhD without a Masters degree?

Yes, it is possible to receive funding for a PhD without a Masters degree. Some PhD programs offer funding to students who have a strong undergraduate background and show potential for research. However, having a Masters degree may increase your chances of receiving funding and may also exempt you from certain coursework during your PhD program.