Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PhD in chemistry

1. May 8, 2005 #1
    I was wondering if anyone knew who the first ever person was to receive a PhD in chemistry. I have been researching for hours and can't find the answer anywhere. If anyone knows, please let me know. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2005 #2
    Never mind. I found the answer. It's Arthur Becket Lamb from Tufts University in 1904.

4. May 8, 2005 #3
    I looked and found Annie. L. McLeod in 1909 at McGill College. Wasn't sure if that was the first or not. I'm glad you found what you were looking for.

5. May 9, 2005 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

6. May 11, 2005 #5
    In the old days I believe there wasn't a distinction made between the braches of science - in fact there wasn't a distinction made between philosophy, theology, mathematics and science! So thats why today people with doctorates in philosophy and people studying physics both share the title 'Doctor of Philosophy' I believe the three major divisions were law, medicine, and 'philosophy' which included mathematics and all branches of science.

7. May 11, 2005 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?