PhD in Particle Physics: Oxford or Imperial?

In summary: I also want to do a PhD in particle physics and specialize in neutrino physics. But right now I am just about to start my MSc at ETH Zürich in the upcoming semester (so I am going to learn more about neutrinos in a lecture I am going to attend, I can't wait for it)So, you are currently doing a MSc at ETH Zurich, which is a great place to learn about neutrinos. However, unless you are specifically interested in working on the DUNE experiment at Oxford, I don't think it would be a good idea to choose Oxford over Imperial. Both universities have great research and are highly prestigious, so it is hard to make a decision. Good luck with your
Soniya
Hi all, I recently got accepted to do a PhD into High Energy Physics groups at Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Cambridge and Manchester. My main interest is neutrino physics, which all of these places are offering. However, I am struggling to pick between Oxford and Imperial.

I have met and discussed the potential projects at length with each corresponding supervisor. Imperial would be focused on the COMET experiment, whereas Oxford would be DUNE. There's a possibility I will be offered a scholarship from Oxford. Both departments are fantastic in their research and highly prestigious. Therefore, I am in a happy yet confusing predicament. I was wondering whether anyone could shed some light on what they would pick and why?

Likes DEvens, WWGD, Michael Price and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Congrats, all are highly regarded schools! Have you discovered any differences?

Soniya said:
Hi all, I recently got accepted to do a PhD into High Energy Physics groups at Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Cambridge and Manchester. My main interest is neutrino physics, which all of these places are offering. However, I am struggling to pick between Oxford and Imperial.

I have met and discussed the potential projects at length with each corresponding supervisor. Imperial would be focused on the COMET experiment, whereas Oxford would be DUNE. There's a possibility I will be offered a scholarship from Oxford. Both departments are fantastic in their research and highly prestigious. Therefore, I am in a happy yet confusing predicament. I was wondering whether anyone could shed some light on what they would pick and why?
Hey! I have no idea which university is better for you, but still, wanted to wish you good luck! Hope you have a great phd experience! Greetings!

Soniya said:

The only input I'm putting in is that oxford is situated REALLY close to RAL (Rutherford Appleton laboratory), where they do ALOT of particle physics. As a result, getting some experience there might be easier if you apply for oxford. But then again that's only my opinion. Imperial also offers postgrad training at RAL.
Also, you may find this useful too.
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/plasma-physics/postgraduate-training/

Likes Michael Price
Hi Soniya!

First of all, you can really be proud of yourself, it's amazing what you've achieved, congrats! Which university did you choose?

I am really curious because I also want to do a PhD in particle physics and specialize in neutrino physics. But right now I am just about to start my MSc at ETH Zürich in the upcoming semester (so I am going to learn more about neutrinos in a lecture I am going to attend, I can't wait for it), and I am studying at ETH for the next two years. After that, I dream of doing my PhD in England, and I would be grateful if you would share any experience :) Cheers, Kathi

Welcome to the PF. :smile:
QueenOfTheMice said:
I also want to do a PhD in particle physics and specialize in neutrino physics. But right now I am just about to start my MSc at ETH Zürich in the upcoming semester (so I am going to learn more about neutrinos in a lecture I am going to attend, I can't wait for it)
Our local neutrino expert Professor @Orodruin may have some thoughts on this for you... :smile:

I don't know that much about the UK, but in general you may think of whether you prefer schools that are of a certain size, "temperament",same for the places where schools are located. Do you like large schools, cities/towns , or you prefer smaller ones? How about liveliness. Clearly you will be pretty busy, but, would you like to have a more sedate environment on your free time, or one with a few bars/pubs to hang out in during your down time?

1. What is the difference between a PhD in Particle Physics at Oxford and Imperial?

Both Oxford and Imperial offer highly reputable PhD programs in Particle Physics. The main difference between the two is the research focus and opportunities available. Oxford's program has a strong emphasis on theoretical particle physics, while Imperial's program focuses more on experimental particle physics. Additionally, Oxford is a larger and more established university, while Imperial is known for its cutting-edge research and smaller class sizes.

2. How long does it typically take to complete a PhD in Particle Physics at Oxford or Imperial?

The average length of a PhD program in Particle Physics at both Oxford and Imperial is around 3-4 years. However, the exact duration may vary depending on the individual's research progress and the specific program requirements.

3. What are the admission requirements for a PhD in Particle Physics at Oxford or Imperial?

Both universities have similar admission requirements for their PhD programs in Particle Physics. These typically include a strong academic background in physics or a related field, letters of recommendation, a research proposal, and a personal statement. Additionally, international students may also need to provide proof of English proficiency.

4. What research opportunities are available for PhD students in Particle Physics at Oxford or Imperial?

Both Oxford and Imperial have state-of-the-art research facilities and collaborations with renowned institutions such as CERN. PhD students have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge research projects and contribute to the advancement of particle physics. They may also have the chance to attend conferences and present their research findings.

5. What career prospects are available for graduates with a PhD in Particle Physics from Oxford or Imperial?

Graduates with a PhD in Particle Physics from Oxford or Imperial have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. These include positions in academia, research institutions, government agencies, and industries such as healthcare and technology. They can also pursue careers in data analysis, consulting, and science communication.