PhD Qualifying Exams -- Are they being phased out?

• Thread starter Vanadium 50
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exams Phd
In summary: Qualifying exams serve two purposes: 1) They ensure that all graduate students entering the program have learned the material. 2) They help to determine who will be a good fit for the program. Personally, I don't think quals need to go away. I thought about this a bit more to try to nail down what my gut... feeling is. Qualifying exams serve two purposes: 1) They ensure that all graduate students entering the program have learned the material. 2) They help to determine who will be a good fit for the program. Personally, I don't think quals need to go away.
gwnorth said:
If it's true, that doesn't bode well for international applicants.
If what's true?

International stuidents have had a tough time these past few years in any event.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps, if the student has been away from their field for a while or is switching from one field to another, it is necessary to do one of these qualifying exams - just to see if they are up to snuff. I finished my Msc in math and went straight to a Phd programme (in math), no exams, just needed to figure out a research topic and negotiate with the to-be supervisor.

Most(?) US phd students do not get a masters degree before starting their PhD. Having a masters seems like a reasonable way to get out of quals.

Office_Shredder said:
Having a masters seems like a reasonable way to get out of quals
Where and when I went to grad school, the qual was the same as the nasters comp. However, the required passing score for the PhD was higher. ALso, studnts who failed the qiual usually got masters as "lovely parting gifts", so I don't see this working out.

Likes Office_Shredder and PhDeezNutz
Vanadium 50 said:
If what's true?

International stuidents have had a tough time these past few years in any event.
If by forgoing GRE/PGRE scores grad programs are instead defaulting to predominantly drawing their admits from a small subset of elite US based private undergraduate programs, the same way that those elite undergraduate programs disproportionately admit students from a subset of elite private high schools.

The majority of the top English language graduate Physics programs globally are housed in US and UK universities and so they attract a lot of international students. With Brexit doing a number on research funding in the UK, that's becoming an even less viable option due to higher tuition costs and lower levels of funding making attendance a poor prospect economically for international students. That leaves the US which typically provides better funding for even international students, but if by foregoing the GRE/PGRE programs are going to not give consideration to students coming from less well known institutions, it just further entrenches inequality and lack of diversity in the sciences, the exact thing that eliminating the tests was supposed to combat against.

gwnorth said:
The majority of the top English language graduate Physics programs globally are housed in US and UK
Cough...cough...Toronto...cough...

(Once in a blue moon I feel compelled to defend TimHortonLand)

The argument that the PGRE opens doors is, I feel, valid. But be careful of making it within the walls of a US university, because everybody knows that standardized tests are eeeeeevil. They don't want to hear the argument that it's all in how you use them. If the PGRE causes you to give a candidate from Spelman College and a so-so GPA an offer, isn't that a good thing?

International students at most UDS institutions are at least normally capped. If you have enough support that can be applied to internationals for N students, enrolling more than N will be trouble. I agree that the PGRE is a useful tool in picking who. But it's also a good tool for domestics, despite the howls of anguish. But the last few years, Covid has caused more problems than the finer points of admission.

Likes PhDeezNutz and gwnorth
I did say "majority" not all :)

Graduate funding, even for domestic students however is not the greatest in Canada except for the very elite few.

At the University of Illinois Physics Dept. (back in the ancient days when I was there) you had two chances to pass the qual. But when you first entered they gave you what was called a 'free shot' at the qual. If you pass, you pass but if you fail it does not count against your two chances. You could pass outright, fail outright or be required to take an oral. On my free shot I got to the oral but was nervous and mucked it up. I never did do as well on my two official chances...

Later, I transferred to another school and passed their qual.

Likes gwnorth
bob012345 said:
At the University of Illinois Physics Dept. (back in the ancient days when I was there) you had two chances to pass the qual. But when you first entered they gave you what was called a 'free shot' at the qual. If you pass, you pass but if you fail it does not count against your two chances. You could pass outright, fail outright or be required to take an oral. On my free shot I got to the oral but was nervous and mucked it up. I never did do as well on my two official chances...

Later, I transferred to another school and passed their qual.

The system seems strange to me. At my university, if you do very well in the written exams you skip the oral section. The interview is reserved for when you do well but not that well.

andresB said:
The system seems strange to me. At my university, if you do very well in the written exams you skip the oral section. The interview is reserved for when you do well but not that well.
That's what I meant. You only do an oral if you did not do well enough to pass outright.

bob012345 said:
That's what I meant. You only do an oral if you did not do well enough to pass outright.
Ok, got it, my misreading.

I dread the oral, since I have a stammer...

The faculty had the opposite opinion about orals when I took them. "If you aced the written, you should have no trouble with the orals"

At UW Madison (1980s) we had a qualifying exam the first year. A reasonable number didn’t make it passed this. The prelim included an oral exam and came like 4 years later. Then the thesis defense which you had to work at failing though it wasn’t unheard of.

Paul Colby said:
At UW Madison (1980s) we had a qualifying exam the first year.
Was this at the end of the year to allow incoming deficiencies to be made up ? (and TA'ing for a year....he says suspiciously)

hutchphd said:
Was this at the end of the year to allow incoming deficiencies to be made up ?
Don’t recall if the official reasoning was communicated or not. It certainly could have been. It was a pretty inclusive place all in all. Most common themes amongst us involved weeding as a theme.

Likes hutchphd
Vanadium 50 said:
Cough...cough...Toronto...cough...

(Once in a blue moon I feel compelled to defend TimHortonLand)
Come on, what is it with you and Canada? And you are the only person in the world that has ever referred to Canada as "TimHortonLand" -- especially as there are Tim Hortons available in certain US states.

StatGuy2000 said:
especially as there are Tim Hortons available in certain US states
Hey, it looks like there is one here in San Jose (Silicon Valley, CA). Are they good?

I would wholeheartedly recommend not wasting your time at a Tim Hortons. It was never gourmet for sure, but you used to be able to get fresh donuts and muffins and half decent coffee. Now all baked products are reheated (they used to be baked in-house) and the coffee is watery flavorless crap.

Little trivia that most Canadians don't know: Tim Horton died in a car crash, yes. He was also hammered (over twice the legal limit) and taking an amphetamine-barbituate mix driving about 75km/hr the limit.

berkeman said:
Hey, it looks like there is one here in San Jose (Silicon Valley, CA). Are they good?
From my experience, different Tim Horton's stores vary in terms of quality -- some stores are amazing, whereas others are mediocre.

I can't speak to the store in San Jose, but my neighbourhood Tim Horton's has great tea and muffins (my favourite is wild blueberry). I don't eat donuts or drink coffee, so I cannot speak to the quality of those.

Likes Mondayman
Mondayman said:
I would wholeheartedly recommend not wasting your time at a Tim Hortons. It was never gourmet for sure, but you used to be able to get fresh donuts and muffins and half decent coffee. Now all baked products are reheated (they used to be baked in-house) and the coffee is watery flavorless crap.
Is that so in your area? (I see from your profile that you are from Alberta).

The Tim Horton's at my location (in the east end of Toronto) bakes their muffins in house. I know this for a fact, since one time I was told that I had to wait for a fresh batch of my favourite muffins.

The majority don't here. It is too costly to maintain the facilities and pay a dedicated baker for most stores.

Mondayman said:
The majority don't here. It is too costly to maintain the facilities and pay a dedicated baker for most stores.
(Note: Thread hijack alert!)

That may well explain the variability in quality at different Tim Horton's stores.

There is a Tim Horton's in, of all places, Wheeling, West Virginia. Been there.
There is also one in Katy, Texas. Have not been there.

And not one, but two in Yellowknife. :smile:

StatGuy2000 said:
Come on, what is it with you and Canada? And you are the only person in the world that has ever referred to Canada as "TimHortonLand" -- especially as there are Tim Hortons available in certain US states.
Well, I bet the Canadians have much worse names for the US, ey?

We are too polite for that. I'm still sorry for the time I called it South Canada.

• Haha
Likes berkeman and gmax137